Critical Role Slate feature on Matt Mercer

Scribe

Legend
Wizards should just ask him how to monetize D&D properly.

A 2021 data leak out of Twitch confirmed that Critical Role is one of the richest channels on the platform, generating a mammoth $9.6 million in revenue between 2019 and 2021. The show has quickly become a fixture of the geek-media ecosystem and is blessed by a litany of third-party investments. There are now Critical Role novelizations, comic books, and most notably, an animated Amazon Prime television adaptation.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Wizards should just ask him how to monetize D&D properly.
9.6 million is impressive, but:

Hasbro states that their Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming segment revenue totaled approximately $339 million, which is up 22% year-over-year.

They're doing fine on their own. In fact they're up while the rest of Hasbro is floundering a bit.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
9.6 million is impressive, but:

Hasbro states that their Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming segment revenue totaled approximately $339 million, which is up 22% year-over-year.

They're doing fine on their own. In fact their up while the rest of Hasbro is floundering a bit.

I meant more the additional steams. I see more CR novels in the book store, than D&D for example.

Scribe

Legend
The supposed flop D&D movie absolutely crushes Vox Machina on streaming.

Critical Role is doing very well for itself. It's a wonderful story. It's not a business lesson for Wizards

I really disagree. The scale is different certainly but if Wizards applied the lessons CR has demonstrated, I find it impossible to not expect Wizards to apply that scale, and make massive amounts of money.

Clint_L

Hero
I feel like a statement like this requires some back up. Do you have links adding some meat to the bone you just threw out there?
Also, The Legend of Vox Machina didn't bomb at the box office. I really enjoyed the D&D movie, but it wasn't made as a streaming property. And Vox Machina was a top streamer on Amazon Prime, which has 200 million+ subscribers, compared to Paramount+ with 60 million+ subscribers.

So yeah...citation needed.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
When I got to the line, "Dungeons & Dragons is essentially an exercise in collaborative storytelling," I started cracking up. I could almost hear the howls of outrange coming from my ENWorld browser tab, where that very statement is hotly contested. Somehow.

EDIT: $9.6million between 2019 and 2021 in Twitch Stream revenue alone?! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

Remove ads