Slayers Campaign Setting

UnDfind

First Post
Anyone know where I can find a 3 ed campaign setting for the Slayers anime? I might try my hand at making one if not, but it would be cool if there was already one out there. Hmmm...a cleric of Zoamelgustar! That would be pretty fun. But aside from the funny stuff, that world has some great ideas about the presence of monsters and demons. And it has Amelia! How about a Kindness to All Creatures Kick feat?!

Tsyr

Explorer
As much as I like the show, I don't see any real way to work it...

Most of the spellcasters (even lina, when she put her mind to it from time to time) were decent sword users as well. But they didn't seem to sacrifice magic power for this, so they don't seem to be multiclassed. Heck, I don't even think the magic itself could be represented well in DnD. "Fireball", sure, maybe... but there really is no equivilant to a lot of the spells (Gigaslave, Rah Tilt, Ragna Blade, etc etc... a lot of the shamantic magics in particular).

Nor does it really seem to be vancian magic... more like a spell-points-per-day type deal, where it tires the caster out somewhat.

I think Slayers can be well represented with BESM (duh), or the Palladium rules maybe... 3E I'm not sure about. Maybe if you made some new classes (IE, the much-talked-about "Magic Knight" class), and a new spell system...

UnDfind

First Post
Awww, that's no reason not to try! ;)

As far as I'm concerned, those characters are the equivalents of Elminster and Drizzt for the Slayers world.

As far as magic goes, it's really not all that different. The White magic users (clerics n' stuff) were usually best at abjuration type spells, and Lina just specialized in evocation. Rah Tilt and Dragon Slave could easily be added. Even some cool new summoning spells (Summon Jellyfish!)

But as far as the draining effect...that's just how most other medias describe the spells per day thing anyways. But it could be a new magic system. Wouldn't be too hard to keep the Sorcerer #s known, and use the wizard's per days as levels where access to spell levels are granted, and then do the whole Star Wars vitality thingie with them (maybe even use the 'new' 4th edition rules being created on the site ;) ). 0th level spells could take 1 vitality, 1st take 3, 2nd take 5 or 6, etc...

Yeah...it might work.

Well, if you think about it, Lina never uses that much variety of spells. If she's a 20th level sorceress, she could easily have access to all of those spells. Plus, at 20th level, she's got a +10 base attack bonus, and though she's no Gourry, she's still better than the majority of the world.

DragonSlave is a 9th level spell, basically a fireball that does 1d6 damage per level, with a radius of 15 ft/level. It has a casting time of three full rounds.

The Ragnablade (I think that's what it was called) is a 9th level spell that creates a gargantuan keen vorpal greatsword +5, which the caster can wield as if it were a shortsword. The wielder immediately gains full proficiency in this blade, and can use it to attack all targets in a 5-foot wide swath, out to a maximum range of 20 feet. The blade acts as a touch attack and creates a pocket antimagic field that allows it to penetrate even magic shields, so basically only Dexterity helps avoid the attack. The blade deals 4d6+5 points of damage, and this damage cannot be healed in any way for at least one day. Oh, and the blade also ignores hardness.

The Gigaslave, though. . . . That's a little tougher. I'm working on a mechanic for that, but I don't plan to release it yet. ;)

The question is, though, would you want to play in this world, or would you just want to play Lina and co? I ran a fun game on New Year's Eve two years ago, where we were all Slayers folks. We had Lina, Zel, Gourry, Naga, and Sylphiel work together to save the world. The plot was that Naga found a magic item that let her travel back in time ten years to when a great sorceress who could grant wishes was still alive. Then, in the past, she wished that "the small-breasted sorcerer girl who I never liked" would lost all of her magic powers.

Now, we were working under the hints that apparently Naga and Amelia are related (similar hair, and Amelia has very large breasts for her young age, plus she once mentions having a very tall sister). So since Naga made her wish ten years in the past, the wish took effect as if the Naga of that time (who had not yet met Lina) had made the wish, instead of the Naga from the future (who had met Lina). Thus, the small-breasted sorcerer girl who the Naga from the past never liked was her younger sister Amelia. And since Amelia lost all of her powers, the group proved unable to defeat Shabranigdo at the end of season one, causing the world to be destroyed.

Naga travels back to her own time, and gloats at Lina about what she has done, when suddenly Amelia pops out of existence, and the rest of the world begins to disintegrate. Everyone pounces onto Naga and forces her to take them back in time to set things right, but Naga gets confused, and they ended up jumping back several millennia to the war between the Mazoku and the Dragons. They got to fight against Xelloss (who stole the time travel necklace from them, plucking it off of Naga's cleavage), and all manners of demons and dragons before they managed to recover the magic item. Then they time traveled again, and managed to head off Naga from the slightly-in-the-past present before she could make her wish.

It was confusing, zany, and fun, the way Slayers was meant to be.

UnDfind

First Post
That system has some good anime-esque mechanics about it. Might be wise to use it as a reference.

In response to Ranger Wickett's post (I haven't figured out how to do that soopah-keen paste thing with the bars and stuff yet),

That sounds like a fun adventure. We did something like that back in 2nd ed.

Thank you for the spells so far! That is most definately a Dragon Slave!

A mechanic you don't plan to release yet? Hmmm...Secrets are mean! ;)

I would want the world of Slayers. I think it would be fun to create characters based in that world. The way I see it, the world is just as cool as the characters. You've got an original cosmology (as seen in Slayers:Try), and a great theme with the monsters and their masters. Hell, there can even be a new feat for crafting Chimeras.

The big question on my mind right now is: How would clerics function? As far as I can tell, there's not many gods (besides the big meanies) mentioned at all...but there can always be a system worked out for white magic, offering different sets of domains. Maybe it's one of those wierd alignment worshiping worlds like you saw in some of those 1st and 2nd ed places.

I think this might work out. You can have a Pacifist prestige class (Pacifist Punch, Kindness to all Creatures Kick, Good Will Towards Men Smash). Could even go through the series again (when I finally get back to the states) and log the demons, races, and new spells. I don't know if they have halflings or gnomes though.

Hmmm...would definately give me something to do.

Any suggestions?

Remove ads