Sleep vs. Extented Rest

Griogre

First Post
I was reading through the PH the other day and one thing that struck me was the decoupling of sleeping from Extended Rest. After thinking about it a bit it seems to me you don’t have to take an extended rest when you sleep if you don’t want to.

The reason that I can see for doing this if you have not blown a daily then you don’t really need an extended rest, so you might as well keep accumulated action points instead of resetting them.

Am I missing something here?

Goolpsy

First Post
I don't think you would be able to benefit from that at all.
You've probably still used healing surges etc, så extended rest will have its place

And in the case of not being in combat.. (thereby not using daily's and Healing surges) You will in the exact same state as if you did have combats, but took an extended rest.

Hence: This is a 1 in 10.000 to be able to use it as you described above, BUT, if thats the case, then why even rest? If you are awake and and healthy why not carry on? or simply just "Wait" ?

Griogre

First Post
I was actually thinking about a situation where the rest of the party needed to have an extended rest but a character, for whatever reason, didn't. I didn't think it would come up often.

As far as sleeping without taking an extented rest the PH says you need to sleep at least 6 hours of every 24 for extented rest to work.

Oompa

First Post
Griogre said:
I was actually thinking about a situation where the rest of the party needed to have an extended rest but a character, for whatever reason, didn't. I didn't think it would come up often.

As far as sleeping without taking an extented rest the PH says you need to sleep at least 6 hours of every 24 for extented rest to work.

Ill just say to my party, an extended rest is an rest of .. hours, which includes sleep..

They can sleep on the day if they want and adventure by night :p

Mengu

First Post
As far as action points go, I'd say you snooze, you lose.

One person staying awake to keep maybe an extra action point while everyone else sleeps, is not something I would want to encourage. I'd rather encourage the expenditure of action points, which they should be doing in order to survive anyway, so this shouldn't pose a problem.

Byronic

First Post
Your character doesn't sleep and whether or not RAW has any rules for it I think he should get a penalty the next day.

theNater

First Post
Griogre said:
I was reading through the PH the other day and one thing that struck me was the decoupling of sleeping from Extended Rest. After thinking about it a bit it seems to me you don’t have to take an extended rest when you sleep if you don’t want to.

The reason that I can see for doing this if you have not blown a daily then you don’t really need an extended rest, so you might as well keep accumulated action points instead of resetting them.

Am I missing something here?
I see two things you might be missing.

1)An extended rest is the only way to recover your healing surges.
2)You can only spend one action point per encounter.

While I don't see anything to prevent you from doing this to save your action points, I don't really see the benefits as being worth it.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Even if 6 hours of sleep = extended rest, you could say your character sleeps 3 hours, alarm clock goes off (equivalent to by whatever means), do some strenuous kung-fu or something, then sleeps another 3 hours.
No biggie.

Griogre

First Post
Mengu said:
As far as action points go, I'd say you snooze, you lose.

One person staying awake to keep maybe an extra action point while everyone else sleeps, is not something I would want to encourage. I'd rather encourage the expenditure of action points, which they should be doing in order to survive anyway, so this shouldn't pose a problem.
Can you give me a referance on that? Because, I don't see anyplace that says you have to take an extented rest when you sleep. I only see where you have to sleep to have an extented rest work. I think I may be being too rules lawyery (is that a word?) about it though.

I'm aware that if you don't take an extented rest you don't get back healing surges - but if you were a fighter with 12+ surges a day who still had a daily and was down one or two surges and had 3 action points, wouldn't you rather be sure of getting to use an action point a fight for the next 3+ fights at the cost of a being down a healing surge or two?

I haven't played a lot yet, but it seems to me the characters with tons of healing surges rarely use them all anyway because the guy with only a few of them runs out long before the fighters (at least at low levels).

Remove ads