Smite and Cleave

WolverineJon

First Post
I'll go against the majority here and take the position that the smite bouns could apply to the bonus attack. The wording of Cleave makes it sound to me like all bonuses from the cleave-triggering attack should remain in effect, since the bonus attack is really a continuation of the original swing of the weapon, and in that sense, not a distinct second attack.

I can certainly see both sides of the argument, though.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
WolverineJon said:
I'll go against the majority here and take the position that the smite bouns could apply to the bonus attack. The wording of Cleave makes it sound to me like all bonuses from the cleave-triggering attack should remain in effect, since the bonus attack is really a continuation of the original swing of the weapon, and in that sense, not a distinct second attack.

By that argument, you'd get the bonus against a neutral creature you were Cleaving into. :rolleyes:

Listen to Caliban!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
By that argument, you'd get the bonus against a neutral creature you were Cleaving into. :rolleyes:

That's what you get for interfering with an angry paladin on a Smite mission!

Shoulda known better... ;)

-Hyp.

Crothian

First Post
Course there's that poor Paladin accidentally smiting neutral creatures. I'm not sure his order would think to highly of him for that.

WolverineJon

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

Listen to Caliban!

I know, anyone arguing against a Caliban ruling is probably treading on thin ice. :)

Nevertheless, in the case of a smiting cleave through an evil creature into a neutral creature, I'd rule that for attack bonus and damage to the neutral creature, the smite is still is in effect but does nothing, just as if an attempt were made to smite a neutral creature with a single standard attack.

dvvega

Explorer
Since Caliban has confirmed I must believe :)

I'm sure I read somewhere that the confirmation roll is not counted for true strike etc ... but I know Caliban keeps all these details neatly noted down so I'll not argue :)

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Bah! Caliban is not a God! He just doesn't post without looking something up and has all the sage's rulings handy.

I have seen him err. (Did anyone else just hear gasps?)

And I am correct on the running into a threatened square not causing an AoO. :p

--Long-Term Memory Spikey

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I have seen him err. (Did anyone else just hear gasps?)

I believe you - I've seen it too :)

From what I've heard, we should grant him Expert 5/Loremaster 10/Ruleslawyer 5 - and our respect - but probably no Epic levels yet :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases