D&D 5E So 5 Intelligence Huh

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It's 100% backed up by the rules. The rules only give intelligence in one way. That means that it applies to all things the same.

Right, represented by that -3 modifier if the DM calls for a check which is whenever the DM thinks the outcome of the fictional action undertaken is uncertain.

transtemporal

Explorer
So what would you do if you rolled a 5 for an ability score.

I once played a 5 wis fighter. He didn't have the common sense of a gnat. "Hey this guy...what'd you say your name was again... Loki? Yeah this Loki guy really seems on the level guys, totally great and trustworthy."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Right, represented by that -3 modifier if the DM calls for a check which is whenever the DM thinks the outcome of the fictional action undertaken is uncertain.

False. The rules explicitly tell you what that -3 measures. Page 177 of the PHB says, "Intelligence measures mental acuity, accuracy of recall, and the ability to reason."

If you are also not roleplaying out what the game tells you is limited by a low int score, you are doing it wrong. Per the rule there, a PC with a 5 int has a diminished ability to reason, so he's not going to be running around solving riddles.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I once played a 5 wis fighter. He didn't have the common sense of a gnat. "Hey this guy...what'd you say your name was again... Loki? Yeah this Loki guy really seems on the level guys, totally great and trustworthy."

Common sense is wisdom, not intelligence. Mongo from Blazing Saddles would be a good example of someone with a low int score.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
False. The rules explicitly tell you what that -3 measures. Page 177 of the PHB says, "Intelligence measures mental acuity, accuracy of recall, and the ability to reason."

If you are also not roleplaying out what the game tells you is limited by a low int score, you are doing it wrong. Per the rule there, a PC with a 5 int has a diminished ability to reason, so he's not going to be running around solving riddles.

It measures mental acuity, accuracy of recall, and the ability to reason via a modifier to an ability check. It doesn't tell me how I should roleplay my character and neither should you.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Of course, by this logic, most players should not be permitted to play characters with an intelligence of 18 or 20, the limit of human intelligence in D&D5, because they aren't nearly smart enough to roleplay it correctly. They cannot help but "do it wrong."

Mallus

Legend
If you play with people who understand what intelligence is and roleplay it themselves, there is no IQ cop to play.
There's also no IQ cop to play if you just leave your players be & let them roleplay however they think is appropriate (letting the dice fall --with appropriate modifiers-- as they may).

As for the question: do my players understand intelligence & roleplaying? Well, they're a PhD in linguistics who's a pharma advertising VP, a librarian, and a former medical journal editor taking time to finish his novel. So... hopefully yes?

They will appropriately self-limit their PC.
Who defines "appropriate"?

If the PC has a 5 int and he is running around solving riddle after riddle, that player is a very bad roleplayer.
In my book, a "bad roleplayer" is someone who plays a boring character or refuses to play nice w/others. Forrest, Riddlemaster of Gump could be interesting/fine.

Either intelligence is just a bonus or penalty, or it's more than that.
Of course it's more than that. Otherwise you could roll up Dr. Swarm of Bats (INT 2, WIS 12, still not a bad doctor), who is my next next PC, BTW.

What I don't see is how you go from "INT is modifier but also context" to "a PCs INT need to be this high before they can attempt to solve the Riddle of the Sphinx".

The rules only give intelligence in one way. That means that it applies to all things the same. What is not backed up by the rules is the idea that a baboon 5 int is less than an elf 5 int.
So you're cool with Dr. Koko, Baboon MD? Excellent! How about Giant Elk, Texas Ranger? Let's Watership Down this whole MF'ing joint!

Where is that rule?
I made it up out of judgment in my brain.

Remove ads