Pathfinder 1E So far not impressed with Pathfinder

innerdude

Legend
You also asked in the OP if Pathfinder is really the game you want to be playing / running--really, only you can answer that question, but I will say this, there's never been a better time than now to look around at other systems.

I GM-d Pathfinder two years ago for about 7 months, and while the campaign overall was wildly successful (beyond what I could have ever hoped for), by the end of it, I was close to reaching "max capacity" for managing the game--and the party was only 8th level. I made a comment on these boards that I finally understood why the "old school revival" movement was in vogue, because "rulings, not rules" makes for a much faster, less stressful game for the GM.

To be honest, I've sort of dropped off the Pathfinder "bandwagon" for the moment as well, in favor of Savage Worlds (if I want fast, easy to run games) or Fantasy Craft (if I want the detail and crunch inherent in 3.x, but I want that crunch to make sense and with vastly simplified NPC creation).

I've also looked at FATE, The One Ring, Cortex+, and Adventurer Conqueror King, and Radiance RPG. The only thing I'll say is, play a system that lets you run the kind of games YOU want to run. Don't run something just because your players expect you to. If running Pathfinder is getting to be too much of a load, it's not going to make for a great experience for anyone at the table. It's like a lot of things, when things are going good, it's easy to keep them going because you're invested in it. When things aren't going well, it's going to get increasingly hard to "get up" for game prep, because in the back of your mind it feels like a waste of time.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I just have to ask the question, is this the game I really want to be playing? It was about this time we as a group stacked up all of our 4E books and put them on the shelf and went back to 3.5. At least with Pathfinder there might be some wiggle room to blend it somewhere in between to a place where we are all comfortable.
I think the OP is one big rhetorical post, particularly the quoted bit.

But out of curiosity, what roles can't the non-core classes/multiclasses fill?

(I've never played PF, so I really have no idea what they might be.)

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
It was meant less rhetorical than obviously you have taken it. As for the roles in question: tank and rogue.
My apologies, I guess I read too far into your post. If you're just blowing off steam that's cool; if you're looking for suggestions, I have at least a couple.

PS: There are no non-core classes with trapfinding and decent skills, and none with high BAB and a decent hit die? I have to say, I'm certainly surprised.

Rangers are pretty bad at picking locks. Not sure about alchemists. Outside of a dungeon, the ranger is handy though.

I don't think the OP was talking about combat roles there.

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
I'm in a game now with an Urban Ranger (i.e. the Archetype, not the base class from Core) and he's the party "Rogue." Does a pretty good job- the few locks he hasn't been able to pick, we've bypassed with spells or just bashed open with weapons. It's very rare that he misses a trap, and he's even been able to disarm magical ones several times. The key factor is, of course, that he gets Trapfinding.

As for non-Core "tanks," I suggest taking a look at the Cavalier- in my (admittedly limited) experience, they're pretty good for it. I've also seen a Magus do it well, though the character was frequently screwed by dice and lost Spellstrikes as a result. When she did hit she was fierce. Also, a Vivisectionist Alchemist or Synthesist Summoner can be pretty scary when properly built. But all of the latter three options, admittedly, require advanced system knowledge and good character-optimization skills to use as tanks approximately on the level of a Fighter or Paladin.

sheadunne

Explorer
Rangers are pretty bad at picking locks. Not sure about alchemists. Outside of a dungeon, the ranger is handy though.

I don't think the OP was talking about combat roles there.

The urban ranger archetypes picks locks just fine, pretty close to the rogue and better at combat to boot.

I've found these to be better selections than going rogue.

Tank or ranged rogue - ranger
Sneaky rogue - ninja
Utility rogue - alchemist
Support rogue - bard

Each of these is a better choice than rogue. In the OPs post, an urban ranger would probably fill both roles he's missing.

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

The urban ranger archetypes picks locks just fine, pretty close to the rogue and better at combat to boot.

I agree, when I played just that I often out-rogued the rogue. His sneak attack was still better for damage, but I was no far cry, and with a +40 stealth, yeah....

Remove ads