• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, how are those unique dice working out?

Vyrolakos

First Post
While waiting for our regular Thursday Earthdawn game to start at the local club, I got to watch the opening scenes from the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire box set being played by another group of players.

It looks like a relatively fun role-playing game, but the thing that really stood out was the number of dice that people were throwing around to shoot stuff and do things. The GM had the dice that came with the box set, plus a pack of extra dice - which, to be fair, seemed to be enough to play the game with, but - there was an awful lot of dice swapping going on between the players and GM as the game was played.

Would I be correct in thinking that if you get into playing this game on a regular basis, a set of those unique SW: EotE dice are pretty much a requirement for each player?

Crothian

First Post
If you game at a table and can keep the dice in the center so that each person has access to them or buys the dice app for their phone or tablet you can probably get away with less sets. Also, with one set it is possible for a particular roll to require more of some kinds of dice then a set comes with so you might have to roll dice note the results and then reroll some dice.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
If your group typically plays dice pool games where-in each person has their own stash of dice then, maybe.

If, like [MENTION=232]Crothian[/MENTION] mentioned, everyone has the dice within reach then two sets of dice for the group should work

if iPads are an option at your table, get the app. I originally picked it up during the Beta since the dice were still being fabbed. They've made a couple great tweaks to the app (tallying symbols for you), and you've always got the dice you need (it even has standard dice).

NMC

Explorer
If, like [MENTION=232]Crothian[/MENTION] mentioned, everyone has the dice within reach then two sets of dice for the group should work.
I agree. It's a little bit weird to have the players and GM sharing dice, given that most of us have developed the habit of bringing our own set of dice and superstitions to the table, but it works. You probably do need two sets of dice, though.

-Nate

Agatheron

First Post
I have 2 sets, and anticipate that it'll be the shared dice pool, but it may grow as players collect their own dice. Either that or the dice app... :)

LWDLiz

First Post
Having played the game before, it became natural with the dice pool and I don't think it interrupted play. As players described what they were going to do, the other players started subconsciously grabbing dice to hand to them.

I'm finding the unique dice are working pretty darn well.

As for number of dice, since the book encourages the GM to make their rolls out in the open, I think two sets of dice would be quite sufficient. You could also ask the players to chip in a few bucks each to help offset the costs of the second set.

Remove ads