So how do we respond?

G

Guest 7034872

I'll never stop playing D&D. I'll stop buying stuff for it and I'll refuse any and all attempts at making me pay a recurring fee for an online account or whatever, but I'll never stop playing. I hope my friends won't either--it's been too much fun.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'll never stop playing D&D. I'll stop buying stuff for it and I'll refuse any and all attempts at making me pay a recurring fee for an online account or whatever, but I'll never stop playing. I hope my friends won't either--it's been too much fun.
I should try to get into this mindset. Thanks for that.

Dausuul

Legend
And that's the nice thing about D&D: You can keep playing forever without paying Wizards a dime.

Good idea to remind them of that. D&D doesn't need them.

G

Guest 7034872

I should try to get into this mindset. Thanks for that.
It can be hard to do when stuff like this happens, I know, but the way I look at it is simple: a great beauty of D&D has always been all the stuff you don't need for it. You get the PHB and MM (no need to ever update it if you're happy with the system), you get some paper and pencils, and you get a set of dice. That really is all you need.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Making noise and the good ol' "Dunk on them on social media every time they do a post to the point they're forced to lock comments" is generally going to be the most effective thing for most of us.

5E got as big as it is due to positive word of mouth, completely can be turned around if momentum gets big enough

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It can be hard to do when stuff like this happens, I know, but the way I look at it is simple: a great beauty of D&D has always been all the stuff you don't need for it. You get the PHB and MM (no need to ever update it if you're happy with the system), you get some paper and pencils, and you get a set of dice. That really is all you need.
Folk D&D vs official D&D. We’re still playing AD&D. You don’t need anything more than people to play with, your imagination, and maybe a randomizer.

So how do we respond?
I'm not sure. I was already unsure if I was staying with 1D&D come 2024. I already cut back my D&D spending. I have no intention of NOT going to see the movie.

overall I don't think this changes any of that.

I will say if this 'works' and puts 3pp out who want to stay behind I will be pissed for a reason others are not. I want 4e style balance, and I think if this cut pathfinder off before it split the fan base, then I would have a 5e with more 4e in it.

Remove ads