So how do we respond?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
So basically: "I'm fine with sh***y behaviour, as long as it doesn't affect me."
There will be a whole lot of this soon.

"So you are 35 and now hate D&D. Big whoop. I hated D&D until I was 35. I figured it out and so will you."
Shooting Star GIF

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
My how to respond.

Support 3rd parties. These Paizo pocket books and Levelup pdfs look pretty eppealing right now. And get these Paizo games on GOG.

Hurry. Finally finalize my Third Dawn pet project and make it public while it is still possible. I might take the time to edit and embellish, but I gotta hurry now while it is still possible.

Dust my PT project. It is is own thing and way low risk going forward.

Stay informed for develpments. Look at what is going to happen with current 3ps to see where to go next.

Put a moratorium on buying Hasbro products. No more ponies, transformers, magic cards and specially D&D products until the situation is sorted out.

Reach out. I havent filled the survey yet. What a better way to give feedback than to take advantage of it.

Join the discussion, help with engagement here and on the other platforms I frequent.

I'm having a conversation with my best friend deciding if stopping to use our 5e content and using 5e as our system is the ''good'' thing to do (knowing full well that it wont change a thing for anyone but us).

I fear dropping D&D will just cause my group to stop playing 'cause they dont want to try new things.

What a dilemma!

I'd suggest waiting to see if WotC backs off on this, I believe they will, if they don't then boycott until they do. I personally think WotC was already kind of divided on this and at this point with this huge backlash 1.1 OGL is already dead before release and some powerful people could be thrown under the bus anyday now.

I suspect WotC is in a state of civil war right now, this has already done this much damage to their business and it's not even been full released? So they've gone completely silent while they fight it out.

Someone going to have to be sacrificed, someone important to qeunch the rage, a fall guy or gal.

So far now I've signed the petition and made complaints to official D&D Twitter and on the D&D Beyond Forums (there is so much nerd rage that official D&D social media like D&D Beyond & Discord stopped censoring folks complaining about OGL 1.1, like I think it was so much after awhile they knew censoring it was pointless and only made WotC look worse).

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
wasn’t on the Dungeon Delver KS (spent too much on other stuff at the time already), will pick it up once it comes to DT (I am mostly into PDFs, take up much less room)
I prefer physical books, but if it isn't on Amazon or on Ebay -and it is one of the chosen retailers by a given parcel service- getting my hands on it is near impossible.

MGibster

Legend
This is the “downside” of the old argument that RPGs, despite being expensive to get into, are actually cheap in the long run because they offer a massive amount of entertainment for few dollars. Once you get in, you can play forever without buying anything ever again. Which is why it’s inherently difficult to sell just rules for a game of imagination.
I categorically reject the argument that RPGs are or ever have been an expensive hobby to get into. I started playing around 1987/88, but earnestly started purchasing my own RPG books in 1989. Back then, I think the AD&D 2nd edition PHB was $18, or $43 in today's money when adjusted for inflation, which was not too expensive for most middle class Americans. Back in '89, I was making bank with my $15 weekly allowance and it only took me two weeks to save up for most AD&D products.
So basically: "I'm fine with sh***y behaviour, as long as it doesn't affect me."
I'm not really sure changing the OGL is naughty word behavior. On the surface of it, it appears as though WotC has the right to change the license agreement, though maybe a court will say different, and I'm not convinced they have an obligation to keep the license as is in perpetuity.

Remove ads