So how many coins fit in a...

javcs

First Post
Why would you need to know such a thing?
In most cases, IME, the DM either doesn't particularly care about how you're carrying your money around, sort of like with spell component pouches, or if the DM does care (a) you're high enough level where you have magical storage or (b) you're low enough in level where it's figured there'll be room for it in your gear storage.

But, if you really need to know for some reason, 50gp = 1lb of gold, and http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Equipment.pdf has sthe storage capacities for backpacks, pouches, sacks, etc. in the last few pages.
IIRC backpacks have a storage capacity of 60lbs, pouches have 10lb capacity, sacks have 60lb capacity, and varying amounts of cubic foot capacity. Sacks and backpacks have pretty much identical statistics, from what I remember.
The ratios between coins and weight is in the trade goods section in the beginning of the equipment section of the PHB/SRD.

Where else that kind of information can be found, I don't know. Bags of Holding/Handy Haversacks list how much they can hold.

Zulgyan

First Post
It's important when PCs find lots of gold, have none or near none magic (low-magic campaign), and know they will never be able to come back to take the rest. The got to pick what they can, and flee.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Random Axe

Explorer
There was an article in the old TSR Dragon Magazine eons ago, and was reprinted in one of the Best of Dragon anthologies (vol 3 IIRC?), that was entitled How many coins in a coffer? It was a simple article that showed volume calculations and coin sizes and volume ratios down to a single coin. Granted, it was based on 1st-ed coinage descriptions, but I had no reason IMC to think any differently about the coin sizes in 3rd ed.

At any rate, the bottom line of the article stated that any given container would fit "about" 4 coins per cubic inch of space. For example, in a small chest measuring 12x6x8 inches, that is 576 cubic inches, which would hold in total about 2304 coins. It went on to compare other space values of other containers and extrapolate how many coins it would fit (ie. a backpack could be expected to hold a wizard's master spellbook, which might reasonably be of a size X by X by X, therefore a backpack's interior space would be Y cubic inches, which finally meant that one could stuff 4Y coins into that backpack.

But of course stuffing all that coinage into a single backpack would exceed the weight capacity of said backpack... Anyone who's seen the George Clooney/Mark Wahlberg movie Three Kings will know what happens when you stuff a load of GOLD beyond a bag's carrying ability... But in terms of your original question, how many physical coins fit into a physical space, that is the simplest calculation to reach the answer.

Funkthis

First Post
I've asked this question before and Random Axe's response is the best reply I ever got. Unfortunately for something that doesn't have a stated height, weight and depth you still are left scratching your head. I mean how big is a sack in D&D exactly?

When I asked the question it was because the party which was relatively low lvl (4-5th I think) did not have any magic appropriate to the situation (bag of holding etc.) and came across the BBEG's treasure room but had not yet defeated the BBEG. So they wanted to grab as much loot as they could carry and run. I knew how much weight they could carry. I knew how many sacks, backpacks, chests and improvised carrying devices they had. But I couldn't really figure out how many coins, gems and object d'art they could take.

When I asked the question here I got a few responses which didn't really answer the question so as a group we arbitrarily made up some reasonable amounts for each item to carry. Since the group was ok with the guesstimates the game moved on and nobody cried about it. Long story short I don't think there is any source out there which will give you much information on this.

starwed

First Post
Still, it would help to know, in rough order of magnitude terms, how much gold could fit in a sack. Sometimes the real answer would be way different that what someone might guess.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
For coins and such, I always limit by weight instead of by volume. Encumbrance limits are known, so the amount the party can carry is determined by how much they're willing to slow themselves down.

576 cubic inches of gold would weigh something like 400 pounds. Your standard backpack definitely will not carry that much. A treasure chest might, but you'll have to add the weight of the chest itself, and it will probably need two people to lug it around. They'll have to worry about how this affects marching order, and movement through difficult spaces, and all kinds of other issues.

I prefer to ignore all the volume calculations and logistical wankery. We assume everyone stuffs coins into their various packs, pouches, bags, and pockets until they reach their weight limit.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
All I know is that a portable hole can hold 282.743 cubic feet or 270,729 US Fluid Ounces or 8006.4 Liters of beer!

Random Axe

Explorer
AuraSeer said:
576 cubic inches of gold would weigh something like 400 pounds. Your standard backpack definitely will not carry that much. A treasure chest might, but you'll have to add the weight of the chest itself, and it will probably need two people to lug it around. They'll have to worry about how this affects marching order, and movement through difficult spaces, and all kinds of other issues.
AuraSeer, I get your point and I agree with you about encumbrance limits, but in point of fact, 576 cubic inches of gold, or 2300 gp, according to the 50gp per pound formula, is only 46 pounds, not 400.

As for how big is a "sack", I assume a "large sack" is equivalent to a pillowcase. A small sack will range from the size of your dice-bag, to a throw-pillow cover.

Last edited:

Remove ads