• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So I'm reading up on the new DnD board game, and, Ugh.

Zogg

First Post
I printed out the Dungeon Master's Guide and Player's Guide for the new DnD board game that's supposed to be coming out.
(see http://www.danddgame.com) I was interested in how the game would run, and I encountered something I found a bit hard to swallow....

In the Player's Guide, this is what it says in large font:

"For the Heroes to win, they must work together to defeat the Dungeon Master, who is trying to destroy them. The Dungeon Master wins the game if the Heroes are stopped."

In the Dungeon Master's Guide, this is what it says in bold font:

"Your aim is to prevent the Heroes from completing the Objective for each Adventure."

Is this the kind of 'introduction' we want to give potentially new DnD gamers?

Last edited:

Hmm... I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, you're right, you don't want newcomers to D&D to assume the DM and the players have an antagonisitic relationship.

On the other, this is first and foremost a board game, and the vast majority of those are about competition.

I don't think it'll end up being a problem, really. Honestly, I don't see the board game bringing that many people into D&D (though I hope to be proven wrong), and I think that those whom it does attract will (for the most part) be smart enough to figure out that D&D isn't a board game, and the same rules don't always apply.

(And hey, if they can't figure that out, there's always Hackmaster. ;))

Fayredeth

First Post
Sounds a lot like HeroQuest if you ask me. Zargon, I think the "DM" was called, was always out to get you, and your characters had to try and defeat his minions and make it to the stairs that lead toward the next level and inevitably the exit out of his dungeons... or to him. I forget which. Anywho, being Zargon sure was fun, cackling and demeaning the players in their futile attempts to get past 12 goblins. I hope this new boardgame doesn't sound a little too much like HeroQuest, as I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of the market their trying to corner with this new game is familiar with HeroQuest, and wouldn't be interested in buying another game that's a rehash.

Zogg

First Post
Fayredeth - I'm very familiar with HeroQuest...and I was Zargon! I guess I see the point about it being a board game vs. it being a role-playing game, I just found the language to be a bit severe.

I've also been reading up on the rules and the game seems pretty sucky - I would even say that Hero Quest is BETTER based on what I remember. It's pretty sad they can't improve on a game that's over 10 years old.

Praeco

First Post
I hope this new boardgame doesn't sound a little too much like HeroQuest, as I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of the market their trying to corner with this new game is familiar with HeroQuest, and wouldn't be interested in buying another game that's a rehash.

It even has attack dice with little Hit/Miss symbols instead of numbers, so yea - HeroQuest.

Hawklord

First Post
A friend of ours actually bought the game and I watched the kids running through part of a session which she DM'ed. The kids ( 11 and 12) really enjoyed the game and picked up the basic concepts easily.

Although it is possible to play with a "competative" DM it's just as possible to play with a "standard" DM approach ( which she did on that ocasion).

The only real problem I had with the game were the "figures" provided with it which are pretty horrible and cheap looking. They'd have been better off using miniatures from the new WotC game - at least they're painted !

Last edited:

Zogg

First Post
When/if the game comes out here in the US and when/if I buy it I will also replace the minis with the WotC ones, which I will be buying. I know some people don't really care for mini's or how everything looks, but to me presentation is a huge part of gaming. I too have heard that the minis for the new DnD board game are miserable, so I won't be using them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads