WotC So it seems D&D has picked a side on the AI art debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagpuss

Legend
16B8DC66-3C2A-4052-BF31-FE97736FDD4A.png

I warn it can be used for nsfw, and even for things totally ilegal if they were real girls.

It can create true wonders, but it has got also its own limits. They are perfect to create portraits of your PCs but if you want a epic scene where the characters have got dinamic poses, that is more complicated.

The art by AI is not going to be the end of the works by profesional artists, because these can design sketchs with lots of character, from different angles.

Or if you want to create a character totally new, for example a female autognome, the AI hasn't learnt yet to create portraits of autognomes. You can't use AI to create a picture with the characters of Dragonlance but if the software had got files with them. Or AI can't create an image of a bugbear because this is unknown by the software.

To create pictures with D&D creatures and species, the software would need special files.

I really wish we could get past there idea that there are binary "sides" to an AI art discussion. If there's war between the Robot Overlords and the Butlerian Jihad I want to register as a conscientious objector.

That being said, I don't see anything right now on the Photoleap site or anywhere else that this is an official thing licensed by WotC. This may just be shady advertising.

Bagpuss

Legend
This may just be shady advertising.
It is a facebook ad after all. However on the Apple Store, they have a "Special Event Dungeons and Dragons AI Avatars", although admittedly this doesn't have the Honor Among Thieves or D&D Branding unlike the advert.

It could also be that the film company has done a tie in, without checking with WotC first.

Last edited:

It is a facebook ad after all. However on the Apple Store, they have a "Special Event Dungeons and Dragons AI Avatars", although admittedly this doesn't have the Honor Among Thieves Branding.

Interesting. I just looked at the Google Play store. They talk about AI avatars and have things that definitely look like D&D, but they don't actually mention D&D by name. Hopefully someone willing to download the app can give some more info.

Don't trust it. It may be fake/pirate/scam. It was official, this should have been announced oficially, and the new easy to be found in internet.

It could be a good idea, if you don't mind your characters will always be in the same poses.

* Other point is if you can use AI to create 2D art.... why not a different software to design 3D (virtual) miniatures style Hero Forge?

* With the right code or "training" AI could create pictures with the same style of classic D&D artists as Elmore or Easley.

There's also a big difference between letting your IP movie cross-promote with an AI art app* and using AI artistry in place of paid human fantasy artists for their book illustrations, D&D beyond stock art, etc.
*which I don't love, but see as the same as movies licensing their images to cheap party favors you buy for kid's birthdays -- tacky and annoying but also par for the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads