So what are you reading this year 2021?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I been rereading lord dunsany. But I really been going through all my Robert A Heinlein books again.
So, my wife picked up for me "The Pursuit of the Pankera". Basically, Heinlein wrote this, tossed the second 2/3 of it, and rewrote it in a different direction as "Number of the Beast".

I'm just touching the new section so I have no feeling for how it differs, and after the last "rediscovered Heinlein" of Variable Star which I wasn't particularly fond of, I'm keeping my expectations in check.

But really, none of that is the thrust of the point. The Pursuit of the Pankera has an introduction by David Weber, and it's a great - and frank - discussion about Heinlein as a trendsetter and influence. I can't say those few pages of introduction are worth the cost of the book by itself, but if you have read a good chunk of Heinlein I recommend reading it if you get a chance.

Sithlord

Adventurer
So, my wife picked up for me "The Pursuit of the Pankera". Basically, Heinlein wrote this, tossed the second 2/3 of it, and rewrote it in a different direction as "Number of the Beast".

I'm just touching the new section so I have no feeling for how it differs, and after the last "rediscovered Heinlein" of Variable Star which I wasn't particularly fond of, I'm keeping my expectations in check.

But really, none of that is the thrust of the point. The Pursuit of the Pankera has an introduction by David Weber, and it's a great - and frank - discussion about Heinlein as a trendsetter and influence. I can't say those few pages of introduction are worth the cost of the book by itself, but if you have read a good chunk of Heinlein I recommend reading it if you get a chance.
I love the number of the Beast. I really need to reread that one soon too. I been focusing on Lazarus long stories. Moon is a harsh mistress and starship troopers (way better than the movie franchise)

Finished The Star King. It's no Dying Earth, but does not lack for creativity. Hildemar Dasce is as wild and strange as any denizen of The Dying Earth.

Now I'm finally getting to Michael Moorcock's The Fortress of the Pearl. I've had it since it first came out, but I leant it to a friend before I read it. He returned it damaged, and I was so mad I couldn't bring myself to read it after that. What can I say, I can hold a grudge?

Sithlord

Adventurer
Finished The Star King. It's no Dying Earth, but does not lack for creativity. Hildemar Dasce is as wild and strange as any denizen of The Dying Earth.

Now I'm finally getting to Michael Moorcock's The Fortress of the Pearl. I've had it since it first came out, but I leant it to a friend before I read it. He returned it damaged, and I was so mad I couldn't bring myself to read it after that. What can I say, I can hold a grudge?
I fear lending books to a friend out of fear of ending a friendship. Some people don’t understand the value of written gold and words of gems.

Nellisir

Hero

I generally don't lend books; I give them. And the best ones I try to buy used copies of when i find them so I have spares.

Remove ads