So what are you reading this year 2021?

I loved that series, but I don't know if I'll ever work up the gumption to re-read all 11,216 pages of it. Knowing this, I boxed up all of them to make room on my bookshelves.

Had to put down Gardens of the Moon, the first Malazan Book of the Fallen. Just wasn't capturing me.

I finished reading De Camp's Fallible Fiend. While parts of it were still a ton of wry fun, I had forgotten about the big threat in the final part of the book...the invading army of cannibal black people. Not something that has aged well at all.

Now I'm back to Farmer's World of Tiers series with Behind the Walls of Terra.

Richards

Legend
I'm now starting up the first of two books by Carol O'Connell, Winter House. It features Kathy Mallory (and so does the other one I picked up at a library book sale, so I'm hoping I like them), a young sociopath brought up by a policeman foster dad, and who eventually became a cop herself. Sounds interesting, so I thought I'd give it a shot. This one involves a housewife who fights off a burglar and kills him with a pair of scissors, and who is eventually discovered to be a missing person from a 60-year-old case file, who had apparently killed her family with an ice pick as a child. That's a plotline you don't see every day.

Johnathan

I loved the series - the worldbuilding, the characters, the long-game character and plot development, the epic warfare. I will say that some of the books, you can really tell they needed a bit tighter editing - the contracted quick turn-around shows. Also, "Ursto Hoobutt."

Last thing I need is a long series, but I've been getting tempted by Malazan series (both authors). I like how so many people say "It feels great, although I didn't really like it, but I still kept reading them..." Such a strange reaction, yet one I have heard from multiple people. Color me intrigued.

Richards

Legend
I all but finished Winter House on my plane trips yesterday, reading the last remaining 40 pages or so this morning. It was good, and gives me confidence I'll like the other one in that same series I picked up. But first, I got back the Destroyer book I had lent to my co-worker, so that's jumping to the front of the line and I'll be reading it - Destroyer #125: The Wrong Stuff - first, before I read the other novel in the Kate Mallory series.

Johnathan

Nellisir

Hero
Last thing I need is a long series, but I've been getting tempted by Malazan series (both authors). I like how so many people say "It feels great, although I didn't really like it, but I still kept reading them..." Such a strange reaction, yet one I have heard from multiple people. Color me intrigued.
I read one of them a while ago. It was...long. What ultimately put me off was being told by numerous people that "yeah, it really picks up after book 3 or 4!! Just get through those and it's great!"

So...yeah. I'm gonna look for books that are great by chapter 4, not book 4.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I read one of them a while ago. It was...long. What ultimately put me off was being told by numerous people that "yeah, it really picks up after book 3 or 4!! Just get through those and it's great!"

So...yeah. I'm gonna look for books that are great by chapter 4, not book 4.
Yeah, life is too short. You get 100 pages to get me on board.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Yeah, life is too short. You get 100 pages to get me on board.
Although, that said @Nellisir I did find that the Dresden books took 3-4 books to really hit their stride. But 1 and 2 were ok enough to keep me reading to when stuff started to get really good. And for me, it was all the vampire courts and the fae courts and all those politics and the White Wizards and how Harry fit into all that - that was when stuff started to get good, for me.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How a Lone American Star Defeated the Soviet Chess Machine by David Edmonds and John Eidinow.

Still reading Turn Coat by Jim Butcher.

Still reading Emma by Jane Austen.

Still reading Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray.

Still reading Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Tasha's Cauldron of Everything by Wizards of the Coast.

Still reading The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan.

Started a reread of The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I read this years ago and was floored, just blown away. So far the first couple chapters are still good, though not quite as I remember, since I now know the gut-wrenching agony waiting for me at the end of the book. :/

Remove ads