So what are you reading this year 2021?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I put down Aurora about 60% or so thru. I have no idea why this book is considered great, or even good.

I started The Windup Girl, which already seems 100x more interesting. With actual characters.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Finished reading Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson. - Excellent, as was his first book.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading Changes by Jim Butcher.

Still reading An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Battle for Skandia by John Flanagan.

Still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Still reading Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones.

Still reading The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Still reading Black Widow: Red Vengeance by Margaret Stohl.

Still reading Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Sly Flourish’s The Lazy Dungeon Master by Michael E. Shea.

Still reading Matchlock and the Embassy: A Thirty Years’ War Story by Zachary Twamley.

Still listening to Skyward by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Sunreach by Brandon Sanderson and Janci Patterson.

Still reading The Black Ice by Michael Connelly.

Still reading Rise of the King by R. A. Salvatore.

Finished Jordan's New Spring. At about 400 pages, it's practically a novella for the Wheel of Time. And yet it has that deep attention to worldbuilding and all the other trademark Robert Jordan-isms. At its best, that detailed approach brings the world vividly to life; at worst, it slows the story to a slog.

I also read Nnedi Okorafor's short story, The Black Pages. After New Spring, that economy of storytelling was a balm.

Now I'm reading Michael Moorcock's Count Brass.

Finished up Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan, it was good. The basic idea is that Jules Vern's books 20 000 leagues under the Sea and The Mysterious Island were recounted to him by actual people.

I think if I had read both before this book, it would have added to my enjoyment, even without that the book was really good.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Finished book 8 of The Expanse series. Got book 9 on pre-order for end of month. Pretty decent series that the writers really improved for the screen.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Finished reading Changes by Jim Butcher. - Dang. Just...dang. That ending… Everything. Very appropriate title!

Still reading An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire.

Finished reading The Battle for Skandia by John Flanagan. - I thought this one very good. The power of massed English longbows vs. Mongol mounted archery would have been interesting to see historically.

Still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Still reading Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones.

Still reading The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Still reading Black Widow: Red Vengeance by Margaret Stohl.

Still reading Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Sly Flourish’s The Lazy Dungeon Master by Michael E. Shea.

Still reading Matchlock and the Embassy: A Thirty Years’ War Story by Zachary Twamley.

Still listening to Skyward by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Sunreach by Brandon Sanderson and Janci Patterson.

Still reading The Black Ice by Michael Connelly.

Still reading Rise of the King by R. A. Salvatore.

Started reading The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan. - Next Ranger’s Apprentice book.

Started reading Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. - Next Dresden Files book.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finished the Windup Girl.

It really should come with a warning label over all the abuse......that said, I enjoyed the book and the worldbuilding quite a bit. Just, wow, if you are triggered by abuse, you really need to NOT read this.

I'm going to re-read Atomic Habits, which I skimmed thru in a few hours a month or so ago. Probably pick up the next Amber book.

It really should come with a warning label over all the abuse......that said, I enjoyed the book and the worldbuilding quite a bit. Just, wow, if you are triggered by abuse, you really need to NOT read this.

I'm going to re-read Atomic Habits, which I skimmed thru in a few hours a month or so ago. Probably pick up the next Amber book.
Unless i'm mistaken his other books (Shiper breaker and the two that follow) also take place on the same earth

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just finished Andy Weir's newest novel, Project Hail Mary.

It is a return to his strengths in The Martian - a story about an isolated scientist who has to handle extraordinary situations. I found the work had the same strengths as its predecessor - it got me turning pages, which is no small feat, as I've had an extremely hard time concentrating on extended reading for more than a year and a half. So that, in and of itself, was delightful.

In Project Hail Mary, Weir dives into more speculative science, and he has to do some hand-waving about subatomic particles and invoke some unobtanium to make it work out. In addition, he didn't stick the landing, emotionally, due to how he resolves one conceit of the work's basic premise.

But still, I was delighted to sit with a book and really want to read it.

Ryujin

Legend

Much like how "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" should come with a warning that "You will want to kill every male character in this book, when you're done"?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases