D&D 5E So what exactly is Wizards working on?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
They can make a new setting. Even with the old settings, I don't want to have to convert them to 5e. That's stuff I expect WotC to do. If they can't make money doing that with books then do it with Magazines.

I fail to see how magazines would generate more money for them than books. They still have to spend the same amount of time, effort, and money on the design, development, writing, editing, cartography, art, and printing.

So while they *could* make a new setting... they seem to have made the decision that at this point in the game's lifecycle, they are fine with not doing so, and relying on players to use all their older setting material they already have or buying cheap PDFs of setting material that is out there on dndclassics.com. If a player chooses not to do that because they think they should be able to buy an "up-to-date" setting for 5E right now... they seem to be okay with saying "Sorry we can't help you right now."

bmfrosty

Explorer
There's been a lot in this thread about flooding the market or starving it. I just ran across an example of some of what Paizo is going through with their current product planning.

http://paizo.com/store/blog/v5748dyo5lhaf?This-is-My-Last-Transmission-My-Friend-Be

From the look of it, they have a huge amount of unsold product for a huge number of different SKUs.

Having a few evergreen SKUs and a few limited time SKUs for WotC seems like a better and better idea. At least they won't have this problem again for a long time. Bet that they had some very similar problems in the past.

Remove ads