• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what races and classes do we consider core?

Sammael

Adventurer
I'd be perfectly fine with Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling as the core races, with Gnomes, Orcs, and half-breeds introduced in the inevitable Forgotten Realms Player Guide.

Please keep the 4e races away from the core books and introduce them in an "advanced guide" or whatever. They were never a part of D&D history until 4e (4e tielfings have nothing whatsoever to do with "classic" tieflings).

My personal list of essential classes that cover all archetypes consists of the following:

Bard
Champion (formerly Paladin)
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Mage
Ranger
Rogue

All other classes can be simulated via these 8 and a generic class trait system that can be further customized via complexity dials.

Example uses the Fighter class:

Complexity dial 0: the fighter gets weapons specializations and masteries (1e-2e)
Complexity dial 1: kits with predefined special powers (2e, 4e Essentials)
Complexity dial 2: special powers can be cherry picked (3e-4e)
Complexity dial 3: every class feature can be customized (2e Skills & Powers)

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
I can agree with four races, (Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling)that can easily be expanded upon with themes later. Wanna be an Eladrin, Mountian dwarf or Tiefling? wait for product XX.

I would probably make dragonborn a base human, but changed, like Deva, Tiefling, half-elf, half-ord and so on. They are in another product.

As for classes, Fighter, Thief, Rogue, Wizard with variations to come later.

edemaitre

Explorer
Core races and classes

Core Races:

-Dwarves
-Elves
-Gnomes or Halflings
-Humans
-Some humanoid (just one): Half-Orc, Dragonborn, Warforged...

Core Classes:
-Cleric
-Fighter
-Rogue
-Wizard

Advanced (optional) Races:

-Dwarves: Hill, Mountain, Dune, Deep
-Elves: Sylvan, High/Eladrin, Grey, Wild, Drow
-Gnomes: Forest, Rock, Tinker
-Halflings: Tallfellow/Kender, Harfoot/Hobbit, Stout/Stoor
-Humanoids: whatever wasn't used above, plus Aasimar, Catfolk, Ogres, Hobgoblins, Muls, Tieflings, Wolven

Advanced (optional) Classes:

-Assassin (Rogue subtype)
-Barbarian (Fighter subtype)
-Bard (Rogue + Wizard)
-Druid (Cleric subtype)
-Illusionist (Wizard subtype)
-Magus/Shaman/Warlock/Witch (Cleric + Wizard)
-Monk (Cleric + Rogue)
-Paladin (Cleric + Fighter)
-Ranger (Fighter + Rogue)
-Sorcerer (Wizard subtype)
-Spellblade (Fighter + Wizard)

Last edited:

IanB

First Post
Races: Everything from the 1e Player's Handbook, swapping half-orcs out for orcs.

Classes: Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue. Nothing else really needs to be core, and you can do a lot of modular stuff under those headings.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Human

Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-Elf
Halfling
Half-Orc

In a pinch, drop that down to:
Human
Dwarf
Elf
Halfling

Eladrin, tieflings, and other wonkiness? Put them in a setting book where I can ignore them unless I am using that setting.

*EDIT* Forgot classes....

Fighter
Cleric
Wizard
Rogue
Ranger
Druid
Paladin
Bard

In a pinch:
Cleric
Fighter
Wizard
Rogue

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Core? Not just core but probably all you need are -

5 races (species): Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, Human

3 classes (or paths): Wizard (Mental), Fighter (Physical), Cleric (Spiritual)

Any one of these can pursue rogue-like facets, and most traditional "sub-classes" can be built along one of the three paths. The attirbutes of each species is likely to steer them toward particular pusuits though it needn't outright restrict them from those that are less optimal.

That's my take on it. :)

DonTadow

First Post
Core? Not just core but probably all you need are -

5 races (species): Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, Human

3 classes (or paths): Wizard (Mental), Fighter (Physical), Cleric (Spiritual)

Any one of these can pursue rogue-like facets, and most traditional "sub-classes" can be built along one of the three paths. The attirbutes of each species is likely to steer them toward particular pusuits though it needn't outright restrict them from those that are less optimal.

That's my take on it. :)

I agree, though I don't think you should have 2 little races. Make them fight to the death.

The more you mention 3 classes the more it kinda does stick with me. Thief could be rolled into any one of those 3 I guess, and it would make sense. But I love the notion of simple.

To build the races they need to have the same number of set bonuses for each race. This bonus (or ability or whatever) should be able to swap out for something in a future advanced race book. (thus one day you'll have the half races etc).

The goal of this book should be as few pages as possible Let's try to hit the 100 mark. I'd be okay with them even having an "advanced" book or web supplements ready with additonal stuff, but for the time being this covers the gambit. FAct of the matter is, whether we like it or not, if WOTC produces a 100 to 200 page book that costs 15 bucks we'll buy it simply cause its cheap and easy to teach.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Adventurer
My concept of what should be "core" to D&D more or less comes down to what a new player with a passing familiarity with mythology and fantasy fiction (books and movies) would expect to find in a game that draws inspiration from those sources.

For me, the "core" races are: Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling. Half-Elves should be addressed as well, but not necessarily as a distinct race. These races are limited to Tolkien, but his work was profoundly influential in the development of the fantasy genre. They are over-used but still seem to resonate with people.

The "core" classes reflect broad, classic fantasy archetypes: Fighter, Magic-User, Thief, Cleric. Now there has been some debate as to whether or not the D&D Cleric actually represents a common literary or mythical archetype or if it was more of an invention for the purposes of the game; I think it's safe to say that it is a common archetype now.

The majority of the other classes are specializations (or "sub-classes," if you will...) of these four core classes and could be represented by talent trees or alternate class features.

I've argued before that D&D works best when it plays to the strengths of these common, iconic archetypes, as it doesn't take a lot of description and explanation on the part of the DM to paint a vivid picture of the world and its inhabitants. Even someone who had never played D&D before but had seen The Lord of the Rings films would have an easy time visualizing a "Dwarf Fighter" and an "Elf Fighter" and understanding the differences between them. A "Tiefling Invoker" or "Goliath Warden" are not part of this shared context.

For me, the core "story" elements of D&D should tap into this shared cultural awareness of archetypes and themes in mythology and fantasy fiction. And yes, I realize that the content of OD&D and AD&D have had a significant influence over what has become part of this awareness over the past four decades. I am aware of the very Western bias, but D&D is a product of the Western world.

There is tremendous value in an RPG where the basic story elements can be immediately "grokked" by the majority of the players so that the group's time can be spent on the adventure at hand, rather than explaining (and re-explaining) the elements which are "common knowledge" within the fiction of the game world.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Human

Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-Elf
Halfling
Half-Orc

In a pinch, drop that down to:
Human
Dwarf
Elf
Halfling

Eladrin, tieflings, and other wonkiness? Put them in a setting book where I can ignore them unless I am using that setting.

*EDIT* Forgot classes....

Fighter
Cleric
Wizard
Rogue
Ranger
Druid
Paladin
Bard

In a pinch:
Cleric
Fighter
Wizard
Rogue

The Auld Grump

Erm...what Auld Grump said.

I think Blink Elves and devil people (which would make a great title for a My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult album) should be a toggle switch setting, not a default-on setting.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling

Classes: Fighter, Thief, Wizard, Cleric

If the idea is to add layers to the base, then start with the actual basics, and add your Dragonborn and Soulknives from there.

I wish the XP function were working, as I'd give you some. This matches my view of what should be "core" exactly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads