So what's the consensus on Castles&Crusaders

Simon T. Vesper

First Post
I've yet to find a game I didn't have to house rule in some fashion. It just depends on how much you have to houserule it before you are better off with a different rule-set.

I mean, that's pretty much industry standard, isn't it? Is there any game that claims ~ explicitly or otherwise ~ that the DM/GM doesn't need to house rule because the rules as written cover everything?

Zardnaar

Legend
I like C&C but oved away from it a bit with 5E. I have the 5th and 6th printings of the books IIRC (or 4th and 5th IDK).

Still got a couple of print outs and 4 PHBs IIRC. I like the system the spellcaster saving throw DC thing is a it out of whack though (worse than 5E)

Spellcasters get to add their level to spell DC, same rate as a prime. I its not a prime making the save is going to be rough (3.0 levels of rough).
Most checks are DC 12 or 18 depending on the prime. a level 10 wizard for example the DCs are 22 and 28.

I absolutely adore Castles & Crusades, but with 5e, I feel like some of the factors that made it such a breath of fresh air when it came out are no longer present.

I like C&C but oved away from it a bit with 5E. I have the 5th and 6th printings of the books IIRC (or 4th and 5th IDK).

Zardnaar

Legend
I absolutely adore Castles & Crusades, but with 5e, I feel like some of the factors that made it such a breath of fresh air when it came out are no longer present.

I stil like the system but that whole RL thing interferes with everything, barely playing 5E ATM and have not played in almost a coupe of months.

I mean, that's pretty much industry standard, isn't it? Is there any game that claims ~ explicitly or otherwise ~ that the DM/GM doesn't need to house rule because the rules as written cover everything?
I'd have to go back and check, but I seem to recall that Synnibarr (2E, not 3E) has an explicit requirement in the Fate (GM) section that you must use the rules as-written, and the players are encouraged to call you out if they think you've changed anything. (Players are also not allowed to read the rule book during play, though, and they are penalized if they try to call out Fate and they are proven in-the-wrong.)

Simon T. Vesper

First Post
I'd have to go back and check, but I seem to recall that Synnibarr (2E, not 3E) has an explicit requirement in the Fate (GM) section that you must use the rules as-written, and the players are encouraged to call you out if they think you've changed anything. (Players are also not allowed to read the rule book during play, though, and they are penalized if they try to call out Fate and they are proven in-the-wrong.)

But there's a difference, isn't there? An official (international) soccer team has to play by official rules. But if you're playing in your backyard with friends, who gives a hoot? In other words, the rules we play by are determined by the players. In RPGs, it's the GM's responsibility to determine which rules to use, with the caveat that the players can, collectively, oppose those rules (on the basis that they're unfair, poorly designed or just plain bad).

There's also a difference between a GM who introduces a house rule to her game in the middle of a session as opposed to before that session. There's a further distinction to be made for "rulings," where the game's rules don't cover a situation and the GM has to make a decision on the spot.

But to the previous point, I think publishers and RPG designers have pretty much resolved themselves to the idea that no rule set will ever be complete ~ Synnibarr being an exception, of course ~ and that GM's have to make rules for their games because every game will, at some point, come up with a unique situation.

mutazoid

Villager
C&C is great. Streamlined but still feels like D&D. Them is more classic which I prefer. You can add features from other systems and it should ruin the game. I think 5e has some great features, the only thing I dont like is it feels like each character class has a lot magic running thru their veins.

Remove ads