• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So what's the scoop on D&D in PDF Format?

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter

This is all reminding me how so many software companies have moved to the sub model. You pay a monthly sub now for MS Office and Adobe. There is no "ownership" anymore of digital content, only the ability to have access to it (for a fee). I hope DriveThru isn't listening.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
I'm guessing the large concern is piracy and sharing, so I'm wondering if they'd require some sort of login and a dedicated reader of some kind. For the record, I'd be fine using a dedicated app and login.
WOTC has a history of killing their digital platforms and taking all of the products within away. They did this with pretty much everything in 4e and then just recently with Dragon+.

I would never trust them to keep a digital platform up indefinitely. PDFs, however, as long as I care for them, can last the rest of my life.

Staffan

Legend
The first few waves (Forgotten Realms, Al-Qadim, Dark Sun) were pretty good. A lot of care went into the OCR and getting the layout the same as in the actual print books. But at some point some bean counter decided that that was too expensive, so they switched to basically making the files into just scanned images with the text OCR:ed behind the scan (so you could still search it), because that way they didn't have to get the OCR:ed text to actually look right. As a side effect, the file sizes ballooned by quite a lot (the whole grey box FR set is 11 MB for 230 pages including a bunch of maps, while Realmspace is 106 pages including maps and 28 MB).

Remove ads