So what's your favourite beer? (Forked Thread)

Enforcer

Explorer
Oh man, here's a list of some of my favorite beers:

-Unibroue Le Fin du Monde

-Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue label)

-Delirium Tremens and Delirium Nocturnum

-Sam Adams Boston Lager and Octoberfest

-Leinenkugel's Red and Sunset Wheat (love the coriander in the Sunset Wheat)

-Smithwick's (pronounced SMIT-icks for those who don't know)

-Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

-Tripel Karmeliet

-Guiness, still delicious, and beautiful when poured

For Whisky:

Favorite Bourbon: Blantons Single Barrel

Favorite Irish: Knappogue

Favorite Rye (especially in a manhatten): Templeton Rye (from Iowa)

Favorite Single-malt: Highland Park 18yrs. I got this one as a wedding present, and have maybe a dram left, which sucks as it costs $100 a bottle. I've had dozens of single malts and this one is just delicious.

Also great, and cool because it's pretty much unavailable to the general public (I got mine because we have it at the restaurant I work at): Bruichladdich 14 yrs. Barbaresco finish. Aged 14 yrs. in used Sherry casks, then finished for about 6 weeks in used Gaja Barbaresco barriques. This is good stuff! The Sassicaia finish is great too, but I haven't bought one of those from our sommelier yet.

For those who really want to learn a lot about whisky (even if you think you know a lot), the now deceased author Michael Jackson wrote some great books on the subject.

For good value, however, nothing beats rum. Bacardi 8 yrs. is only $20 a bottle and it's fantastic, and good with medium bodied cigars. I drink it with just a touch of filtered water, no ice, just like my single malts.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
RE: the harder stuff-

A buddy of mine and I toasted his recently deceased grandpa with his favorite drink- straight Wild Turkey. The bottle we had was "aged 25 years"...and we had purchased it 17 years ago!

Smoooooooo*coughcoughhackcough*oooth.

Unable to replace that once it was finished (not on that evening, though), we discovered Buffalo Trace. Also quite nice.

However, I usually favor sweeter liquors, like Amaretto...which brings me back to Wild Turkey.

Last year, Wild Turkey introduced a new product called American Honey. Its not as strong as WT, and the honey flavor is quite nice. Think of it like Amaretto with a supercharger under the hood.

Enforcer

Explorer
Aging a bottle of scotch (or bourbon, or anything else with 40%+ abv) after it's been bottled actually does nothing at all. It's not like wine where it will keep developing (or pass its prime) with time.

Demmero

Explorer
Beer, domestic: I like many of the brews from Samuel Adams. I prefer them dark and strong. While I don't particularly care for the odd varieties, I am partial to one at winter time. It's called Cranberry Lambic.

Beer, foreign: Guinness Stout, draft with the widget in the bottle or can. Yummy! The widgets are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Oooh...I like to make Black & Sam's around the holidays (like a Black & Tan, only with basic Sam Adams Boston Lager at the bottom and Guinness draft on top...poured in slowly over the back of a spoon).

I haven't tried the widgets. Even with ketchup. In fact, the thought of ketchup in a beer discussion kinda makes my stomach turn a little. :)

odndfan.1974

Banned
Banned
It's gotta be Hop 15 Ale & St. Bernardus Abt 12. Those two are my absolute faves. Most of the time I have to special order them.

I'll tolerate MGD, but only in the case that nothing stronger is available.

Skunk

First Post
I love beer! (Read my sig :D)

My favorite beers include Shiner Bock & Blonde, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, New Belgium Mighty Arrow & Fat Tire, Carlton Drought, Singha, and Pyramid Apricot Weizen.

Mmmmm, can't wait for my cheat day. :]

Remove ads