Level Up (A5E) So where do ya'll plan to start with LU?

BabbageUK

Explorer
These days I assume GMs and players discuss what they do and do not want out of a game, and therefore it is good sportspanship for a GM to not simply use a journey system without at some point having said "I'd like to try using this system for handling journeys between places, is that okay?"
I think we're at cross purposes here. You're talking about the game as whole, and using a particular system for - as far as I can tell - every journey. I'm not. I'm talking about, whenever needed, I just use the system to flesh out a journey I need to slow down or need to feel takes time or is hazardous. That can be piecemeal. Skip it if it's not warranted, use it when needed - even within one session. I just see it as another tool in the Narrator's toolbox, not a subsystem which needs to be worked through every time. Additionally I see it as something which should very much be in the background, almost invisible. The players shouldn't know you're following a subsystem, to them it's just part of the existing adventure. I ask them how they plan their journey, where they go, what they do. I don't set out a mini-game, because that would ruin the atmosphere and sense of disbelief.

To be absolutely clear, I would only use the journey rules where appropriate - not every time. I certainly wouldn't bother asking my players if I could. It's in their power to ask to fast track if they want, or enjoy the scenery. It isn't in their power to dictate how I run an adventure or what tools I use. It doesn't interfere with their agency in any way - which definitely would need flagging up in session 0.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think we're at cross purposes here. You're talking about the game as whole, and using a particular system for - as far as I can tell - every journey. I'm not. I'm talking about, whenever needed, I just use the system to flesh out a journey I need to slow down or need to feel takes time or is hazardous.
This here.

Basically, if you would want to have a random (or planned) encounter on the trip, then you can use the Journey rules. If you would rather just say "after three days on the road, you arrive at your destination" then don't.

Anyone starting a VTT game? I'm running a 5e game, but I'm jonesing to join a game as a player, and it'd be nice to use my shiny new PDFs.

Jmarso

Adventurer
This is the official game Level Up, yes. They came out last week in PDF, and early next year in hardcover.
Hey, I 've got a question about this. My email account I used for the kickstarter is going to die at the end of the year (thanks for nothing, cable company!). Where / how should I go about updating that so I can eventually pass your guys the shipping info for the physical books? Do I update that with your company, or somewhere else?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hey, I 've got a question about this. My email account I used for the kickstarter is going to die at the end of the year (thanks for nothing, cable company!). Where / how should I go about updating that so I can eventually pass your guys the shipping info for the physical books? Do I update that with your company, or somewhere else?
There will be a shipping survey very soon.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases