So you want to be an ENnies judge...

d20Dwarf

Explorer
The suggestion was made at one point to have a Judge's Pick -- a chance for each judge to single out a single product they thought was awesome but that didn't garner sufficient support to make the top 5. Mostly as an alternative to the Honorable Mention, which I still think is something of a cop out.

I like Judge's Pick(s) much better than Honorable Mention. If you're going to nominate 5 products then don't clutter it up with a sixth (especially if it's wasting time at the awards ceremony). I would guess that HM is at least as much about assuaging the losing judge in a tight battle for Top 5 in a category as it is about recognizing truly deserving products. Judge's Pick(s) allows for judges to express themselves without cluttering up the actual process and results.

Skeld

First Post
I would guess that HM is at least as much about assuaging the losing judge in a tight battle for Top 5 in a category as it is about recognizing truly deserving products.

This was not the case for the 2010 nominations list. We (the judges) talked about awarding HMs from the very beginning (I think it first came up within days of the 2009 awards). We went into deliberations with HMs in mind.

Also, speaking solely for myself (Other judges might want to chime in), I didn't feel like the "losing judge" when it came to picking nominations for categories. I don't think any of the other judges felt that way either.

-Mark

Mexal

First Post
On Honourable Mentions: I agree with Mark. Indeed, in most categories it was more of a case of "How do we get 6 products into 5 nomination slots?" than pacifying someone whose all-out favourite product didn't interest anyone else.

The_Universe

First Post
On Honourable Mentions: I agree with Mark. Indeed, in most categories it was more of a case of "How do we get 6 products into 5 nomination slots?" than pacifying someone whose all-out favourite product didn't interest anyone else.
Why not nominate 6 products?

reveal

Adventurer
Effectively immediately, Kennon Bauman has withdrawn his name as a 2011 ENnies Judge Nominee and has made the following statement:

"I respectfully withdraw my nomination as a potential ENnies judge for the 2010 season. I believe strongly in the integrity of the ENnie Awards, and wish no harm to come to their reputation or prestige, even among a vocal few, as a consequence of any action I have undertaken. I campaigned honestly and openly, and I see no evidence of any breach of confidence or immoral conduct on anyone's part. I would like to fervently thank those who have supported me thus far, and wish the remaining candidates the best of luck in the coming season. I'm sure I'll be talking to many of you before next year's electoral season, but for those who I don't -- see you then."
--Kennon C. Bauman

The statement that led to his resignation was one made in an e-mail to his family and friends asking people to vote for him. Unfortunately, he worded his letter in such a way that one could construe that he wanted them to "stuff the ballot box." I have known Kennon for many years and I know that he did not mean this in any way, shape, or form and was just trying to help the receipients understand the voting process better. Although he was not asked to withdraw, he did so and we respect his decision.

Remove ads