So You've Decided to Run a "Western" Game. What Kind?

Which genre(s) of Western RPG would you consider running as a campaign?

• Classical Western

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Acid Western

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Comedy Western

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Contemporary/Neo-Western

• Electric Western

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Epic Western

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Fantasy Western

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Horror Western

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Revisionist Western

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Science Western

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Space Western

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Weird Western

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • Wuxia Western

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • None of the Above

Herne'sSon

Villager
Deadlands: Hell on Earth
Deadlands: Lost Colony

So, yes. Not to mention that the movies Damnation Alley and A Boy and His Dog both have a good bit of western influence in them.

Let's not forget Six-String Samurai. In the years following the nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union, "Buddy Holly" must trek through the wasteland to Vegas to claim the throne left by King Elvis. But he better beware, for "Slash" wishes the crown for himself and will stop at nothing to kill Buddy!

I think the movie The Book of Eli is likely a post-apoc western, too.

And if the Road Warrior isn't a western cloaked in radioactive fallout, I don't know what is....

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Deadlands: Hell on Earth
Deadlands: Lost Colony

So, yes. Not to mention that the movies Damnation Alley and A Boy and His Dog both have a good bit of western influence in them.
Not to mention Albert Pyun’s Cyborg and Knights. No, really- don’t mention them.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think there's a noticeable undercurrent of the West as the place where the bad things of colonialism/Old World society cannot yet reach. If you focus on that, you can begin to minimize some of the genre's pernicious effects. So you have PCs in the region avoiding those who would oppress them back East, as well as those who infringe on the freedom the PCs have. There is room for a former slave, an outlaw fleeing injustice, and a native whose home is threatened. But the frontier is always moving, and it gets inexorably easier for the oppressors to get across it.
Oh man I'd love to run a game wherein there are folk trying to unite the factions of the frontier into something that can hold back the colonizers, others who just want to kill as many imperialists as they can, others who think the frontier will be better off with the trains and airship docks and academies that come with the imperialist civilization, etc, and who the PCs help and support will help determine how the frontier develops around them over time.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Remember, there’s not just the “cowboys & indians” or gunslinger conflicts in Western lore, but also ranchers Vs ranchers, ranchers Vs farmers, ranchers & farmers Vs rail barons, etc.

Plus, westerns are one of the few genres where “good guy“ outlaws are a major trope.

aramis erak

Legend
Remember, there’s not just the “cowboys & indians” or gunslinger conflicts in Western lore, but also ranchers Vs ranchers, ranchers Vs farmers, ranchers & farmers Vs rail barons, etc.

Plus, westerns are one of the few genres where “good guy“ outlaws are a major trope.
One of the great realizations I had about the Lone Ranger serials... without Tanto, Lone Ranger is a dead man. It's a subversion of the "Evil Injuns" trope of the late 19th and early 20th C tropes. Tanto is always the one saving Lone Ranger, very seldom the reverse. And, because of the racist antipathy towards Native Americans (including the assumption of ignorance and lack of intellect) of both the setting and the audience, him being basically ignored until he shoots or punches works really well in the fiction, because it's believable that the townies would ignore him provided he doesn't try to enter a business or attack someone, and is gone by nightfall. And some businesses might even let him in.

I think someone ought to do a movie about Tanto where Lone Ranger is even more dependent upon Tanto.
(I also wonder where they chose that name from. The Spanish "Of Course!" or the Japanese dagger, or elsewhere?)

MGibster

Legend
Oh man I'd love to run a game wherein there are folk trying to unite the factions of the frontier into something that can hold back the colonizers, others who just want to kill as many imperialists as they can, others who think the frontier will be better off with the trains and airship docks and academies that come with the imperialist civilization, etc, and who the PCs help and support will help determine how the frontier develops around them over time.
Sounds like Blue Planet. It's set outside our solar system on the planet Poseidon which has like 97% of its surface covered in water but it's got that frontier vibe and all the elements you mention. I don't think of Blue Planet as a western but you could certainly run it that way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases