D&D General Solo Adventures : A DM and a Single Player

Richards

Legend
Back when I was in high school I ran my little brother through two several short solo campaigns: one (1st Edition AD&D) where he ran a fighter (and had two NPCs, a ranger and a cleric) on a quest to recover a powerful sword, and the other (Gamma World, 1st Edition) where he ran a mutant with no memories (not even of his own mutations - I revealed them as they came up in play) left for dead in a radioactive desert, who (over the course of the mini-campaign) found/rescued a mutant who would later become his wife, tracked down the person responsible for his near-death and memory loss, and got his revenge.

Many years later, I also ran my youngest son through a much longer solo campaign of Champions (1st edition again), where he ran an Iron Man type of superhero named Jetstar. That one lasted over a dozen sessions until it kind of petered out because we started our first 3.5 campaign with our current gaming group. But it was a good way for the two of us to get some gaming in between D&D campaigns.

Johnathan

Shiroiken

Legend
I've run quite a few "solo" adventures, including the 2E class modules. They tended to be more social than combat based, and since this was all in AD&D, avoiding combat was generally advisable anyway.

In 5E I don't think it's quite as much of an issue, depending on the class of the lone PC. Unless healing magic is available, combats are swingy, with an easy TPK by bad rolls. The solution to this is to only use intelligent creatures that would take the PC hostage, allowing for potential escape or negotiation. Hirelings and/or NPC companions can ease this, but begin to push the game towards a non-solo game.

Blade of Vengeance, an Expert Set solo adventure from 1984-ish, was pretty good.

Which is to say, I remember it being good. Like most UK produced modules, there is story and a plot 😄.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Back in the mid 90s my roommate and I would run 1-on-1 games all the time; literally every single night of our Junior and senior years of high school. Now, we always both had characters, but we never had an issue with playing.

I play with my 6yo now and have for over a year playing the same kind of game. That one actually started out being just the 6yo's PC but they asked for a companion after a bit so I made a character too.

I see people selling books of "sidekicks" to facilitate 1-on-1 play and I just have to wonder what kind of DM a) can't adjust an adventure to their party on the fly and b) wants to stick the players with managing all the NPCs.

Full disclosure: I play RC D&D with my 6yo, not 5e. But I've run 5e games with only 2 or 3 PCs (no DMPCs there) and it's fine.

Weiley31

Legend
The UA Sidekicks rules would probably be best for Solo PC party companions.

Party Member skills like Expertise could be treated/used as an extension of the main PC. Or if your Sidekick had Extra attack, then it can be used as a bonus action by said Main PC to have said Sidekick attack outside their turn

I also believe some mechanics may have to be introduced/video gamed up a bit for the solo aspect.

The Ferryman Charon: Wait, your dead!?!? But your not SUPPOSED to die until insert PC's natural death date due to natural causes We're both gonna get it if management finds out about this mess. Here I'll send ya back: let's keep this deal between ourselves, Kay?

To avoid abuse, let there be a LEGIT ramification if the Solo PC intentionally uses their death as a cheat all advantage.

You might be able to even get some plot/lore/rp ideas by doing little things like this.

Last edited:

Remove ads