• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Solo play class? I LOVE 5E!!!

Dausuul

Legend
For most effective solo class, I recommend at least 1 level of rogue. High Dexterity plus Expertise makes you the king of stealth, and stealth lets you pick and choose your battles, which is vital in solo play. Plus you don't have to cart around a bunch of clanky fighters. After that, I would either keep advancing as a rogue, or multi-class into blade pact warlock. Devil's Sight + darkness castable twice per short rest + Sneak Attack = win. You can balance your rogue and warlock levels however you like, just make sure your 5th and 12th levels are in warlock (for Thirsting Blade and Lifedrinker respectively).

For most fun solo class? Hell, dude, it's your character. Pick the class that makes you happy.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If we're talking about a single class (no multi-class builds) over the broadest spectrum of levels, I'd go moon druid as the best overall utility and effectiveness.

healing (both with direct spells and giving up spell slots to heal while in beast form)
large variety of other spells
tanking (brown bear, dinosaurs)
stealth (flying, swimming as well)

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Oh, okay. I thought it did. I don't multiclass, so I missed that it was different in the final product. Well then... your just screwed.

There is no possible way to play D&D solo without realizing the difficulty has been more than doubled. Even by level 5, a Goblin with a net or a Kobold Sorcerer with a sleep or charm person spell is going to have a greater than 50% chance if killing you.

The only way to play D&D as a solo adventure is to carefully omit certain combat tactics, have the enemies fight dumbly or just play only social adventurers...

Or create a bunch of NPCs to follow the main character around.
be an elf, immune to sleep, adv on charm saves from memory

Remove ads