• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some help on Verticle Movement

Magic Slim

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Here's my question about flying:

Suppose you're flying along, minding your own business, when out of the clouds behind you pops a flying wizard who fireballs you. Angry, you want to turn around and attack him.

How tight a turn can you make, and how long does it take you to make a 180-degree turn? I know this varies by maneuverability class, but I can't make heads or tails of it. Does "maximum turn" define the maximum turn you can make in a single round? With a single move-action? In a single square?

Daniel

With good maneuvrability, you can turn 90° every 5', So if you're going north when you get fireballed from behind, you take a 5' north, during which you turn left. You take a 5' west, during which you turn left again. You may now proceed and fly towards the attacking, flying wizard. I'll try to whip up a diagram.

Slim

Bozidar

First Post
shilsen said:
DMG, Pg.20. I mentioned that above.
but page 20 of the DMG doesn't discuss vertical double moves.

it says: "Up Speed: How fast the creature can climb."

Not how fast the creature can climb with a move equivilant action. Just "How fast the creature can climb."

Last edited:

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Pielorinho said:
Here's my question about flying:

Suppose you're flying along, minding your own business, when out of the clouds behind you pops a flying wizard who fireballs you. Angry, you want to turn around and attack him.

How tight a turn can you make, and how long does it take you to make a 180-degree turn? I know this varies by maneuverability class, but I can't make heads or tails of it. Does "maximum turn" define the maximum turn you can make in a single round? With a single move-action? In a single square?

Daniel

It helps to plot it out on a piece of paper. Assuming the mage Fireballs you on round one and a turn rate of 45 degrees, before your initiative, you would turn around 180 degrees on your move in round 5 (4 45 degree turns). If your turn rate is 90 degrees you would be turned around on round 3 (2 90 degree turns).

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Kid Charlemagne said:
It helps to plot it out on a piece of paper. Assuming the mage Fireballs you on round one and a turn rate of 45 degrees, before your initiative, you would turn around 180 degrees on your move in round 5 (4 45 degree turns). If your turn rate is 90 degrees you would be turned around on round 3 (2 90 degree turns).
I think the two different responses show my confusion well :). Can you:

a) Do doughnuts in the sky with a turn angle of 90 degrees/5 feet -- if you can move 80 feet in a turn, that's 16 squares, in each of which you can make a 90 degree turn, allowing for four complete rotations in a single turn? or
b) move 80 feet, but turn a maximum of 90 over the course of a move?

Daniel

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
The answer would be b), I think. Otherwise, the turning would seem to be a little too hairpin. I can't think of a good justification for a).

Bozidar

First Post
'if a creature has a fly speed of 40' and it wants to go directly up, how fast can it fly in 1 round? I realize that it says half speed, but does that mean no double move action...and no run? How far can he go up in 1 round?'

Magic Slim

First Post
Bozidar said:
'if a creature has a fly speed of 40' and it wants to go directly up, how fast can it fly in 1 round? I realize that it says half speed, but does that mean no double move action...and no run? How far can he go up in 1 round?'

You have a fly speed of 40', which means that when you take a move action, you can move 40' while flying horizontally.

When climbing, you can only climb at half speed. So, if you take a move action and go straight up, you can move 20' (40' / 2)

In any given round, barring any special circumstances, you may take a) a full-round action, b) a move action and a standard action or c) 2 move actions.

If you opt for c), then you can use your first move action to go straight up 20', then your second move action to go 20' straight up again, thus moving 40' in the round.

I don't know how to put it simpler... :)

Slim

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Kid Charlemagne said:
The answer would be b), I think. Otherwise, the turning would seem to be a little too hairpin. I can't think of a good justification for a).
That's what I would think, but Slim points out the part where it says you can turn 90 degrees in 5'. Slim, whaddya say?

Daniel

Magic Slim

First Post
Pielorinho said:
I think the two different responses show my confusion well :). Can you:

a) Do doughnuts in the sky with a turn angle of 90 degrees/5 feet -- if you can move 80 feet in a turn, that's 16 squares, in each of which you can make a 90 degree turn, allowing for four complete rotations in a single turn? or
b) move 80 feet, but turn a maximum of 90 over the course of a move?

Daniel

it's a)

Turn: How much the creature can turn after covering the stated distance.
Turn in Place: A creature with good or average maneuverability can use some of its speed to turn in place.

Diagram time. The examples represent a flying creature with good maneuverability and a fly speed of 40'. They represent a single move action.

wth I can't attach??? I'll post it later I guess...

Slim

Magic Slim

First Post
Trying to reattach it as a picture instead of an attachment...

Slim

(gah!)³ dammit just edit! j;alsdjkfa;lsdkfjs;asdlkjaf;

aslkj;asld

l;askdjflasd

Attachments

• Grid.jpg
    Grid.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads