Level Up (A5E) Some questions about druid rules interactions

Valrei

Villager
I'm intending on playing a decomposer and I am unsure as to how some interactions work:

1. General Wildshape and Shillelagh, shillelagh specifies the following:
The spell ends if you cast it again or let go of the target.
If you wildshape it says this:
  • Any equipment you are wearing or wielding merges into your new form. Equipment that merges with your form has no effect until you leave the form.
Soooo, have I let go of the target? I'd say technically not since the weapon merged into your new form (no letting go happened), it has no effect until you leave your form but I technically also didn't let it go, so when I would change back within that minute would Shillelagh still be active? Normally not much of a problem but due to a Decomposer subclass feature that allows you to regain your swarm wildshape charge if you turn back within a minute it does become relevant to know if your shillelagh is still active at this point.

2. In the decomposer subclass you get "in the cracks" which gives you an alternative wildshape of a swarm. Now the rules for this transformation are completely different to normal wild shaping so I'm hesitant to assume anything in it works like normal wild shape. Specifically:
Your game statistics are unchanged, except for one of the following benefits, which you choose when you shift:
Your game statistics are unchanged, so I assume you still have the same AC, so does a shield you were wielding before the transformation still help you? In a normal wildshape the answer would obviously be no, but here it states specifically your game statistics don't change.

3. (also perhaps a slight oversight but rules as written:
The only actions you can take while in this form are the Dash, Disengage, or Dodge actions.
This means you can't transform back? (if so obviously not Rules as intended but still) Or does it specifically just mean you can't use other actions and does it leave bonus actions completely open?)

4. Edit: another question I thought of, could you theoretically change from beastform into a swarm or from a swarm into beastform? Or do you always need to change to humanoid in between?

Your opinions are appreciated and if this post would attract the attention of the writer(s) of the druid and decomposer that would be really great. (and if so, nice stuff, really like how druid is in a5e and the decomposer drips with flavour, utility and an alternative to the tree-hugging-squirrel-stroking druid stereotype which I always like)

Edit: added 3 and 4 to the bonus question for clarity as there are actually 4 questions/matters

Last edited:

Selganor

Adventurer
Regarding 1: Since it never left your hand I'd still allow you to have it ready after turning back if you changed back fast enough.

Regarding 2. If the only things you could do would be Dash, Disengage or Dodge you'd be immobile unless you spent your action to Dash to get any movement.

Regarding the form changes:
You can stay in a wild shape for a number of hours equal to your druid level. You then revert to your normal form unless you expend another use of this feature. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die.
Your swarm form is just another version of the wild shape (that "normal" druids can't change into) so you'd have to go back to normal form from any other form.

Pedantic

Legend
Agreed, 1 should preserve the spell effect as long as you don't exceed the duration, and I think the restriction in 2 should be read literally, only affecting actions, not bonus actions or movement.

Valrei

Villager
Regarding 1: Since it never left your hand I'd still allow you to have it ready after turning back if you changed back fast enough.

Regarding 2. If the only things you could do would be Dash, Disengage or Dodge you'd be immobile unless you spent your action to Dash to get any movement.

Regarding the form changes:

Your swarm form is just another version of the wild shape (that "normal" druids can't change into) so you'd have to go back to normal form from any other form.
I disagree with the fact that you could not move if you couldn't take any actions, there is no "move action" (like in 4e if I remember correctly?), you just move without having to spend an action.

Thanks for the replies, any thoughts about whether AC of a shield carries over to swarm form?

Last edited:

Selganor

Adventurer
A shield is carried equipment that disappears (and is effectively ignored)

The Wild Shape AC is listed in the rules (or the form you take if that is better).

Even things like rings/amulets/... or other "permanent" effects that you just have to carry won't stay active once you shift forms.

Valrei

Villager
A shield is carried equipment that disappears (and is effectively ignored)

The Wild Shape AC is listed in the rules (or the form you take if that is better).

Even things like rings/amulets/... or other "permanent" effects that you just have to carry won't stay active once you shift forms.
Yes normally it would but the swarm form of the decomposer (In the cracks feature) has other rules as it says:
Your game statistics are unchanged,
So you don't actually take on the stats of a beast and I don't think you take the wild shape AC either as I would consider AC a "game statistic"

Yes normally it would but the swarm form of the decomposer (In the cracks feature) has other rules
i would argue in the cracks modifies wild shape, rather then being completely separate from it. otherwise there would be no reason to specify, for instance, that in the cracks doesn't give you temp hp. thus, "your game statistics are unchanged, except[...]" would be a modification of the "your game statistics are replaced[...]" paragraph of wild shape.

Valrei

Villager
Hmm... hadn't considered yet that that "your statistics are unchanged" was only meant to counter the "your game statistics are replaced .... etc." of the wildshape, could very well be that that is the intended reading yes. Hmm quite low AC in that case, but at least it scales.
Or does that also mean I do gain the AC of the swarm I choose if that AC is higher? And then I can also cast spells with range self or touch that are bonus actions or reactions?

Last edited:

Remove ads