Some reasons why people may reject the notion that "System/Rules matter"

So the "systems matters' discourse has reappeared, like perennial flower, or like a rash that won't go away, depending on your point of view. Given that some people have a hard time even imagining why others reject the importance of system, I'm sharing a list of reasons why people might feel that way, from a blog post I wrote when TTRPG designers were getting quite annoyed that some players were saying that "rules don't matter" I thought there might all sorts of sensible reasons why people might feel that way: or say something like that:

• Rules lawyers make my table worse, and rules arguments and systems/edition wars make my online experience worse, therefore I hate rules.
• I don’t even know the term “freeform play” exists, yet it is what I actually value about the roleplaying.
• Setting, theme and/or strong adventure plots drive my purchase and play decisions, not rules.
• People who say “I loved playing Ars Magica for a decade, but it is a lousy game” are not being nearly as clever in arguing for the importance of rules as they think they are.
• My “generic” system (Fate, GURPS, D&D, Empire of the Petal Throne, Bunnies and Burrows, whatever) is good enough for my purposes, your bespoke system isn’t worth the cents of electricity it would take for me to read it.
• I reject the claimed continuity between explicit rules, “rules” of style, and “shared understanding at the table”
• Rules provide a minor oracular compliment to my agenda as a player; therefore, I want them light.
• I hate the way the rules I’ve encountered limit my descriptive freedom to accomplish my goals.
• Ummm, many RPG designers keep talking about how you aren’t raking in the Benjamins, and lots of us players keep telling you that rules aren’t the most important thing, yet you focus on….rules.
• if I want a structured experience that applies rules to achieve an aesthetic end, I will play a video game, thank you very much.
• Watching actors and improvisers stream playing D&D is much better than playing myself.

Obviously many of the these reasons might seem to be besides the point to designer or enthusiast steeped in the sputtering remnants of Forge culture. But, given the number of indie design enthusiasts compared to the number of people who are likely using DnD to do "weird stuff", a design focus might not be a less than sensibile default for thinking about such things. And it might be worth bearing in mind that systems matter to people in different ways and to different degrees.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
And it might be worth bearing in mind that systems matter to people in different ways and to different degrees.

Interesting post. I am sure it will be uncontroversial. :)

Speaking for myself, when I hear variations of the "Systems/Rules Matter" mantra, I tend to get worried. I think that there are two ways to view that statement:

1. Weak statement. To me, the idea that the rules matter is, in a certain way, both trivially true and banal. It is unexceptional, in my mind to make "weak assertion" arguments that differences in the rules can impact gameplay.

2. Strong statement. This is where I get worried, because (to an extent), I feel similar to when an athlete says, "It's not about the money." When I see people making strong "system" arguments, I try to hold on to my wallet, because I feel that they are usually trying to sell me on something- a theory or a game. Which is fine, for them, but I don't need to be theory-splained as to why the game I enjoy doesn't work in theory, while whatever they are selling is the only real way to have fun. "System matters" inevitably means that because it matters, some systems are better than others, and let me tell you why these systems are better ....

Put another way- some people care deeply about systems. Which is wonderful. But the elevation of systems and theory over practice doesn't work for everyone. Some people place their priorities in other places, which is fine as well.

jasper

Rotten DM
...• Ummm, many RPG designers keep talking about how you aren’t raking in the Benjamins, and lots of us players keep telling you that rules aren’t the most important thing, yet you focus on….rules.....
Wrong they are raking in Jacksons or Hamiltons!

Aldarc

Legend
As for myself, I think that rules clearly matter, and that this can easily be demonstrated by trying to play an rules set that that badly suits the genre of story or the creative agenda of the players at the table.

That being said, I believe the trend in the RPG creation community is imbalanced in valuing game mechanics over narrative design. Story, adventure, setting, and art direction are more than equal partners in creating meaning. Luckily, we can all make the games we want, and it is easier than ever to make them available to people.
@Mark Sabalauskas, is there a reason why you leave the concluding part of your original blog post out of your post here? And doesn't this undermine your overarching point?

Also what is the basis of your assertion that you make (my emphasis in bold) in the final paragraph? Do you have evidence from the TTRPG industry in this regard that you would be willing to share for discussion?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
...• Ummm, many RPG designers keep talking about how you aren’t raking in the Benjamins, and lots of us players keep telling you that rules aren’t the most important thing, yet you focus on….rules.....
Wrong they are raking in Jacksons or Hamiltons!

If they are TTRPG designers, they will be lucky to be raking in the Franklin Delano Roosevelts.

I tell ya, they are thankful to see a dime for their work.

pogre

Legend
• Watching actors and improvisers stream playing D&D is much better than playing myself
Can you elaborate on this a little bit? Are you saying if system mattered to these folks they would not enjoy watching streams more than playing? Not criticizing, just trying to understand how this fits in.

there a reason why you leave the concluding part of your original blog post out of your post here?

My focus, today, was to mention a variety of lens through which "system doesn't matter" is reasonable way viewing the world.

That I, personally, often find that rules matter to me, reinforces a broader point about a variety of tastes and purposes for gaming, which is the work the observation is trying to do in the blog post.

It is less relevant when I'm merely trying to point out that people might have their own coherent reasons to dislike a focus on rules and systems, or to feel that systems aren't very meaningful to their goals or fun.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
As someone who has been around for a bit (I am surprised AARP doesn't have RPG stuff) - your game should probably involve polyhedral dice, since you can now by them anywhere, I even bought some at Walmart in little velveteen bags.

Remove ads