Some thoughts on permanent injuries

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm considering the following adjustment to the rules on permanent injuries, and I'd appreciate some thoughts.

• Permanent injuries are an optional rule
  • As before they are quite rare - 6 on 1d6 after having reached zero HEALTH
  • Attributes can be reduced as currently, but CHARISMA cannot
  • Ironically, every injury which reduces an attribute increases your CHARISMA by 1, because you're more interesting with an eyepatch or limp

It's designed to make experience a slightly more fun element, especially if players play on their war wounds.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I've found that having very low-frequency injuries creates a sort of tension. Everyone knows this rule is there and is significant, but is sort of waiting for it to come into play. I prefer to make them a more regular occurrence (and create a range that starts at relatively nonsevere ones to prevent the game from being too bogged down).

LucasC

First Post
I like the concept, I'm not sure if I like the implementation. At our last session 2 characters went unconscious. Both of them resulted in permanent injuries. Frequency actually seemed too high to me.

Granted, they both rolled poorly but that's going to happen when it's a 1 in 6 chance.

I cannot speak for others, but the folks I tend to play RPGs with are accustomed to falling unconscious a lot, maybe we need to change our playstyle for N.E.W.

I kind of like the idea of making it optional but think I'd rather see something a little more rare and not optional.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like the concept, I'm not sure if I like the implementation. At our last session 2 characters went unconscious. Both of them resulted in permanent injuries. Frequency actually seemed too high to me.

Granted, they both rolled poorly but that's going to happen when it's a 1 in 6 chance.

I cannot speak for others, but the folks I tend to play RPGs with are accustomed to falling unconscious a lot, maybe we need to change our playstyle for N.E.W.

I kind of like the idea of making it optional but think I'd rather see something a little more rare and not optional.

The probability can be tweaked pretty easily. Perhaps a 12 on 2d6, for example. Or even an 18 on 3d6 if you want it to be *really* rare.

LucasC

First Post
The probability can be tweaked pretty easily. Perhaps a 12 on 2d6, for example. Or even an 18 on 3d6 if you want it to be *really* rare.

That's exactly the type of change I think would be good.

The CHA restriction is an interesting idea but I can envision someone falling unconscious, maybe from a grenade, and then they wake up they lose a point to a stat and come up CHA. The logic behind CHA loss goes something like this... the wound physically scars them, contributing to loss but it also sours their personality a bit, makes them a little more cynical, a little bitter and angry, etc.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The CHA restriction is an interesting idea but I can envision someone falling unconscious, maybe from a grenade, and then they wake up they lose a point to a stat and come up CHA. The logic behind CHA loss goes something like this... the wound physically scars them, contributing to loss but it also sours their personality a bit, makes them a little more cynical, a little bitter and angry, etc.

Oh, sure. You don't need to explain it. There was a CHA reduction in there before (in the document you have, in fact). I'm just considering making permanent injuries a bit less of a penalty and more a change. I like to see it as character development rather than nerfing folks.

MarkB

Legend
Oh, sure. You don't need to explain it. There was a CHA reduction in there before (in the document you have, in fact). I'm just considering making permanent injuries a bit less of a penalty and more a change. I like to see it as character development rather than nerfing folks.

If that's the case, then this implementation feels a little bit one-directional - great for the 'face' character, but not so good for anyone else.

Rather than putting one stat off-limits, how about randomising it - if you lose a point to a physical stat, then a random mental stat is increased, and vice versa.

Alternatively, formalise the exchanges a bit more, but relate which stats are penalised and boosted to the type of attack or event which caused the injury.

trespassers

First Post
If that's the case, then this implementation feels a little bit one-directional - great for the 'face' character, but not so good for anyone else.

Rather than putting one stat off-limits, how about randomising it - if you lose a point to a physical stat, then a random mental stat is increased, and vice versa.

Alternatively, formalise the exchanges a bit more, but relate which stats are penalised and boosted to the type of attack or event which caused the injury.

I like the idea of it boosting a mental stat, but I like the idea of choosing which mental stat, too! You got shot in the back while running away, maybe you want more of a WILL. Or maybe you missed the guy hiding in the shadows, your INT has been sharpened. Won't get caught like that again... Or you could always get a new scar. Scars are cool... +CHA!

Still reading through the document, but I got caught up in the idea and wanted to comment. I'm liking how inspirational this can be for character growth (vs just leveling up, if that makes sense).

I like the idea of increasing a mental stat- a random one would be better or else you end up with characters doing the 'face' situation above. They could even be linked, e.g.:
  • STR loss= WIL gain: your rehabilitation took the drive to overcome
  • AGI loss= INT gain: you had to learn to get around your lack of manual dexterity
  • END loss= CHA gain: you have a cool scar
  • INT loss= WIL gain: you had to rehabilitate from your loss of brain function
  • WIL loss= CHA gain: though you found it harder to do anything, you did learn how to manipulate others to do so.

That said- I think the permanent Injury should either be the result of damage beyond bringing you to 0 wounds (e.g. for every -10 injuries you would be on you roll) OR as part of the death countdown. This would make them slightly less frequent and also perhaps more logical.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I like your take on it. I'd handle the infliction a bit differently though. Rather than a 1/6 chance at 0 hp, I'd rather say that if a PC would be dead according to a combat result, the player can instead choose that the PC survives, but with a permanent injury as you describe. Roll for random attribute damaged. The PC is incapacitated for a long time, though. And the player gets to choose a physical appearance change as a result of the injury.

This offers the player an interesting choice. He can continue with his current PC, which he probably likes, at a slightly reduced capability, or he can come in with a new PC, which in most groups will be at par with the other PCs.

Remove ads