D&D 5E Sorcerer Metamagic Options

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So the last UA presented a wizard that is essentially a better sorcerer than the sorcerer. I personally didn't like it, but it got me thinking about some new potential metamagic options to present in my games. Here are some of them. Let me know your thoughts.

Careful Spell (Redux)
When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell’s full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.

If you choose to spend 3 sorcery points, your chosen creatures are completely unaffected by the spell.

Reasoning: I don't think it makes sense that Evokers get to completely protect their allies but sorcerers (supposed masters of adjusting magic on the fly and reshaping the forces at their command), are not able to. This way, Sorcerers have the choice, and can spend more to achieve a similar affect. Not terribly game breaking IMO.

Empowered Spell (Redux)
When you cast a spell, you can spend 2 sorcery points to increase the spell’s raw force. If you roll damage for the spell when you cast it, increase the damage against every target by 2d10 damage of the same type as normal for the spell. If the spell can deal damage on more than one turn, it deals this extra damage only on the turn you cast the spell.

You can use Empowered Spell even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Reasoning: I liked the ability presented in UA, and always felt the normal empowered spell was really a non-option. Since you're rerolling some dice (not all) and using the new rolls regardless if they are actually better or not, you are essentially spending resources for a nil result. This way you at least know you are getting something out of the cost of the sorcery points.

Energy Substitution
When you cast a spell with a designated energy damage type, you can spend 2 sorcery points to change the energy damage type to Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, or Thunder (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip). You can use Energy Substitution even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Reasoning: I know the arguments that changing the energy type can be abused, especially with feats like Elemental Adept. But Personally, I'm ok with it anyways.

Versatile Spell
When you cast a spell that requires a saving throw, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to change the saving throw from one ability score to another of your choice (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip).

Reasoning: Probably the most controversial and the one I'm least sure about. I felt that if the latest UA Wizard were allowed into a campaign, this would be reasonable as well. Of course the Wizard can only use it once per short or long rest, so the sprcery point cost should also reflect this in some way.

Lanliss

Explorer
More good stuff I would use. I probably wouldn't go with Versatile spell, just because it seems odd to change something like Fireball to a Charisma save, but the others look great.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
More good stuff I would use. I probably wouldn't go with Versatile spell, just because it seems odd to change something like Fireball to a Charisma save, but the others look great.

Thanks! And I agree as far as Versatile Spell goes. For me, I would only allow it if I allowed the Wizard Lore Master (which I'm learning towards no). But the ability is also fun if you require some kind of justification as to how the spell would change. In your example, changing Fireball to a Charisma Save may be similar to a ball of mental fire that burns out your neurons or something, or an illusory fireball or something.

Remove ads