D&D 3E/3.5 Sounds too good to be true

A player in my 3.5e campaign is becoming a 3.5e DM himself.

He told me he’s getting “free” 3e splatbooks, like the Mininatures book, from two websites. I assume this is NOT some real, legitimate release by WotC? Or did they eventually free release several 3e era books? Since I don’t see “Miniatures“ for sale, at least under that name, on DriveThruRPG, maybe it’s legit??

jeffh

Adventurer
There's not enough detail here to be sure but my first thought is that perhaps he fell for one of the scams that advertise regularly on Facebook.

rgard

Adventurer
A player in my 3.5e campaign is becoming a 3.5e DM himself.

He told me he’s getting “free” 3e splatbooks, like the Mininatures book, from two websites. I assume this is NOT some real, legitimate release by WotC? Or did they eventually free release several 3e era books? Since I don’t see “Miniatures“ for sale, at least under that name, on DriveThruRPG, maybe it’s legit??
I'd ask him to identify the websites.

jeffh

Adventurer
He said Scribd and Archive.
Ah. That makes sense. Scribd has legit e-book and audiobook sections, but anything D&D-related I've seen there is user-uploaded with no indication that it's in any way approved by WotC. So, almost certainly pirated. I'm less familiar with that side of archive.org (I mostly just use the Wayback Machine, if anything) but would be very surprised if the situation there were any different. So, yes, these things exist, but they're almost certainly not legal.

Ah. That makes sense. Scribd has legit e-book and audiobook sections, but anything D&D-related I've seen there is user-uploaded with no indication that it's in any way approved by WotC. So, almost certainly pirated. I'm less familiar with that side of archive.org (I mostly just use the Wayback Machine, if anything) but would be very surprised if the situation there were any different. So, yes, these things exist, but they're almost certainly not legal.
I know Internet Archive of all Dungeon issues is legit (related to a lawsuit, I have heard). But I don’t think “Archive” is the same thing.

Scribd is gonna be pirated material 90% of the time when it relates to nerd culture.

Internet Archive is in a pretty murky area.

Make your own decisions.

Remove ads