Sourcebooks/references for dream settings?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The chapter on Dreaming in Occult Lore from Atlas Games (Oneiromancy), was written by the guy who came up with Eberron.

The Dreamlands stuff for CoC has very little to do with actual dreaming, there's like a whole page of rules for it, that's it, it's mostly a description of the world of the HPL Dreamlands stories, with some Brian Lumley thrown in.

kuje31

First Post
There is also some info in the Wheel of Time d20 book on the Wheel of Time's dream world......

Planescape's Guide to the Ethereal Plane also has info on the Demiplane of Dreams.....

Yair

Community Supporter
random user said:
They don't seem to be able to enter other people's dreams, at least they have showed no capabilities of it so far. I'm also not sure what I think about that idea. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether that might be interesting or too complicated?
I think it can present some interesting motiffs, if you want to include it.
As an example, in a campaign I once helped plan there was an order of wizards (Bene-Gesserit like) who studied dream magic. Their elders "retired" to the world of dreams in the heads of respected members of the order ("reverened mothers", which in turn retired in time to another's head and so on), where they did not age. In time they grew wiser and stronger until they could travel to areas of the imagination that lied beyond mortal thought - they effectively became deities, and no longer part of mortal dreams. Thus the order's members could travel in dreams to seek out the wisdom of their predecessors, but the more powerful and wise the harder one was to reach (and the stranger the land he inhabits was).
Another concept, that might actually work for your campaign, is being able to seize some artifcat that was destroyed/lost; it still exists in someone's dreams, and can be removed into the real world.
That said, the freedom to enter the dream world may be difficult to handle as a DM. If they can remove an artifact from a dream - can't they remove others? And you may find it difficult to go dream-adventuring without notice (kind of liek teleport and plane shift there).

In dreams which aren't reality, that certainly will be something that I would like to pursue. If the dreams are reality (even perhaps an alternate reality), then Dream Points would be harder to work in (but still possible, potentially... I'll have to think about this one).
The above-metioned order held to a Hinduisitc worldview, that claimed that the "real world" was Maya, an illusion, and in actuality was merely the dream of Brahma. One of many dreams, for Brahma (the One deity) contemplates all possible realities, and all are "real". Thus their magic, which works in the real world, works also in the "dream" world, and the highest magic is being able to travel into the mind of dreamers, until one can reach the "bottom-most" dreamer and becomes one with Brahma.
I guess what I am saying is that even if the dreams are reality, they could still be dreams, if it suits your campaign.

Owldragon

First Post
The default setting of Dreamwalker D20 is a modern one, but I still think you might want to take a look at the game. You could probably adapt some of the rules from there (it has the concept of spending "mana points" to achieve various effects in the dream). It also has a lot of discussion on the sort of things you can incorporate into dreams to reflect the psyche of an individual. Deoending on the nature of your dream world, that may be helpful. At the very least, try looking at some of the free downloads that are available on the company's webpage. In particular, the discussion of details that can be added to dreams may be interesting.

Remove ads