D&D General Southpaws in D&D

The Glen

Legend
Fellow members of the Blue Hand Group, I was asked a question that I had to look up. How many Canon characters from any D&D settings are lefties? I knew Warduke was sinister, and I was informed that Caramon was also tally handed. But there has to be more right? Two characters total out of probably thousands is a bit out of proportion. I got told that all dark elves are ambidextrous, but that doesn't count. I'm looking for characters who are shown with their left hand dominant.

Stormonu

Legend
I’d forgotten Caramon was a lefty. As one myself, it was very pleasing to read back in the day.

I think Rikkus from Dark Sun is left-handed as well, maybe ambidextrous. Zzas Tam from FR might be left-handed as well. Artemis Entreri from the Drizzt books appears to be left-handed as well.

The Glen

Legend
I’d forgotten Caramon was a lefty. As one myself, it was very pleasing to read back in the day.

I think Rikkus from Dark Sun is left-handed as well, maybe ambidextrous. Zzas Tam from FR might be left-handed as well. Artemis Entreri from the Drizzt books appears to be left-handed as well.
In the few pieces of art where he's not duel wielding Rikkus is using his left hand. Artemis it seems depends on what edition as he seems to change back and forth depending on who's drawing him.

RobJN

Adventurer
Neither Inigo Montoya nor the Man in Black are left handed.

Oh, wait. D&D.

Yeah, Caramon is the only one that springs immediately to mind. (Yes, another of the "Ooh! He's a lefty, too!" moments). But then, I just haven't read much more than DragonLance fiction from TSR, back in the day.... (I tried to read the Dragonlord Chronicles. I really did. But it was just so.... not good. So now I write my own Mystara stuff.)

Azuresun

Adventurer
Fellow members of the Blue Hand Group, I was asked a question that I had to look up. How many Canon characters from any D&D settings are lefties? I knew Warduke was sinister, and I was informed that Caramon was also tally handed. But there has to be more right? Two characters total out of probably thousands is a bit out of proportion. I got told that all dark elves are ambidextrous, but that doesn't count. I'm looking for characters who are shown with their left hand dominant.

How many canon characters are explicitly right-handed? Among the many who aren't described as being either, I'd assume normal demographics apply.

I don't think I have ever seen a description of an NPC that said one way or another if someone was left or right handed (and I wouldn't regard art depicting a character holding something with their left or right hand as definitive in terms of which hand is their preferred). So my view is any NPC, unless there is one where the text specifically says this character is R or L handed, could be interpreted to be whatever hand you want.

Remove ads