• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Space Shuttle Columbia lost?

Paladin

Explorer
I live in North Texas

My neighbors, my wife and myself all heard the explosion this morning. My wife and I were sleeping and were woken up by it. We didn't know anything was wrong (helicopters fly over all the time, real low) so we went back to sleep. My next door neighbors were up already and their house shook so violently they called 911 to report an explosion somewhere around us - the police then told them what had happened.

Local news has the local law enforcement and fire chiefs calling in from the main debris field in Nacodoches, Texas. They've found about 40 pieces of debris there. :(

Debris is STILL falling right now according to the local TV station's Doppler Radar. They clearly show the explosion right between Dallas and Ft. Worth, then the path goes right over our house, the debris falling for hundreds of miles.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dragongirl said:
If that was the case, would there have been anything they could have done differently?

Let's be clear on something - NASA was well aware of this before re-entry. Right after every launch, they have engineers pour over footage with a fine toothed comb, and the best image enhancement available. Their determination was that there was no sign of notable damage.

That doesn't mean this wasn't the cause. Nor does it mean that the could not have proceeded differently. It does mean that they had no particular reason to proceed differently. The best data they had said it should not have been a problem.

I'll repeat - our curiosity is a heavy thing, but really, it's too soon to start speculating, especially from our "armchair" positions. NASA hasn't even held it's first news conference on the subject, yet. We know nothing. Let's not fill the air with little bits of this nothing.

[edit: btw, CNN claims the 1st news conference will be at 1PM, EST]

[edit: space.com is is not an official NASA site. There are people there with connections, though]

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
I hope the optimists are right about this, but I still remember after the Challenger. Manned spaceflight barely survived that, can it survive this?

Bob Aberton

First Post
Eternal Father, King of birth,
Who didst create the heaven and earth,
And bid the planets and the sun
Their own appointed orbits run;
O hear us when we seek thy grace
From those who soar through outer space.
J. E. Volonte (1961)

So sad...my sympathies to the family of the crew...

Nasa has officially declared the shuttle Columbia "lost with all hands," I'm afraid...

Remove ads