D&D (2024) Speaking of Monks...

i_dont_meta

Explorer
Is the Bonus Action used for FoB considered to be part of the Attack Action? This is in regards to the Tavern Brawler Feat which allows you to Shove after a successful Unarmed Strike using the Attack Action and to also reroll a damage roll of "1" after an US w/the Attack Action. Would be a sweet 1st level Feat if it's legit!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Is the Bonus Action used for FoB considered to be part of the Attack Action? This is in regards to the Tavern Brawler Feat which allows you to Shove after a successful Unarmed Strike using the Attack Action and to also reroll a damage roll of "1" after an US w/the Attack Action. Would be a sweet 1st level Feat if it's legit!
/going by the version in characterOrigins that adds reroll 1s take the result in addition to the shove you note... I'd say no just because it specifies action type just like it specifies once per turn. Start ignoring those and it would obnoxiously slow down the game.

• attack1
    • shove
    • move5ft
  • attack2
    • shove
    • move5ft(now 10ft)
  • BonusActionFob
  • attack3
    • shove
    • move5ft(now 15ft)
  • attack4
    • shove (now 20ft)
    • Walk away away
If oned&d goes back to single "move action" (or similar equivalent) I might be more inclined to ignore it. Personally I'm inclined to be strict with that kind of RAW & monk because IME monk players at my tables tend to blatantly ignore the action economy of their many abilities leading to attack(action>bonus action extra attack/Fob>patient defense/step of the wind/etc(also a bonus action) and I have too much to do as a GM to track their abilities. I expect allowing a loophole for one of the limits would quickly turn into one for both with "but you said I could, it's not fair the GM wants to nerf me after I built my character around doing what they said I could".

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
But, @tetrasodium I would like to point out that the damage reroll has no restrictions on the Action being used (Attack or Bonus) and the Shove is limited to once per turn...

1698358466211.png
That 1/turn on shove but not the reroll was not missed. I think that was something I acknowledged while noting my concern was more over the expectation that an exception would expand. The damage reroll says "you can reroll the die if it rolls a 1, and you must use the new roll"... I'd call that a restriction. The fact that the reroll a 1 even on the later attack action/FoB damage rolls is still a benefit.

mellored

Legend
The damage reroll says "you can reroll the die if it rolls a 1, and you must use the new roll"... I'd call that a restriction. The fact that the reroll a 1 even on the later attack action/FoB damage rolls is still a benefit.
Oh, yeah the reroll 1 works for FoB, or opportunity attacks.

But the push is only for the main Attack Action.

Remove ads