Speculating on the Future of D&D

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Anyone think that Ravnica will have a Magic style of casting spells? I'm sure lots of people have thought about having only one type of caster who chooses a color to specialize in and be the red mage or the white mage. It would change a lot from the traditional casting system, but I'm sure many people will like it.

No. I think Ravnica will have a D&D style of casting spells. It's a D&D book after all.

I think it's possible that mana colors will be mentioned as associated with particular spells and spellcasting types tho - red for evocations, white for abjurations, black for necromancy, etc. And if there's a sidebar or whatnot about how mana works to fuel spells that tie it into the standard D&D mechanics. But I'd be very surprised if they put entirely new character classes into this book - or even hefty work into modifying the spellcasting system for existing classes to be mana based instead of just adding "mana flavor".

Tony Vargas

Legend
It’s certainly possible. But a strong counterpoint to it happening is 4e. 4e had a very aggressive release schedule, and that yet it was still the first time in ages that D&D was no longer the best-selling, most-played RPG. Even corporate heads can understand those metrics.
To be fair (and I know there's no impetus to be fair to 4e, but just try'n fake it, folks), it was with the announcement of Essentials (a "half-ed" after only 2 years), that PF started beating D&D in some quarters, and solidly did so when the post-Essentials releases had be scaled back substantially.
That had nothing to do with the release schedule and everything to do with the huge division it caused in the player base. 5e not only healed many of those divisions, thanks to social media, D&D has exploded, even compared to the first successful years of D&D 5e.
Yet the correlation between aggressive release schedules/edition churn & failure is there: 2e, 3e & 4e all had rapid releases, an arguable 'half' ed, and all ended badly (though obviously, not all equally badly, the company folding is hard to beat, and 3e was just tapering off - and went on, as PF, to continue kicking ass for years). While 1e & 5e had slow releases and sold like crazy.

Sure, it's a fad-comeback cycle, but never let cycles get in the way of trend lines. It's always different, this time.

Anyone think that Ravnica will have a Magic style of casting spells?
Would M:tG style of spellcasting be even more convenient, less limiting & more flexible than neo-Vancian? Because you can't seem to add/change casting methodology in D&D if it doesn't make things better for the casters...

Last edited:

bmfrosty

Explorer
Was race-as-class ever a thing in Greyhawk? I associate that with BECMI D&D, and BECMI's setting was Mystara.
That's what it is in my head. I'll have to reference chainmail, od&d, and the Greyhawk supplement to tell you for certain. Given that ad&d and basic d&d both branched off of that it seems like it should be correct.

EDIT: I checked. Class and race were separate in OD&D. Non-human characters had low level caps though.

Last edited:

Remove ads