• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Speculative] Rivals or What level adjust to you put on PC glow?

eleran

First Post
Jack99 said:
It's quite disturbing. Every time someone mentions that, I get a mental picture of teh Rouse in a tight ninja-suit, sneaking up upon a poor unsuspecting DM.

Maybe I should go see my shrink...

Under the ninja suit will he be wearing "the shirt"?

Carnivorous_Bean

First Post
"Ninjae" .... *wince* :(

But that's quite correct. The only reason not to roll up an important NPC as a PC is if you don't have a player's handbook and are unable to. ;) I can't imagine very many DMs being in that boat, though.

Lizard

Explorer
Carnivorous_Bean said:
"Ninjae" .... *wince* :(

But that's quite correct. The only reason not to roll up an important NPC as a PC is if you don't have a player's handbook and are unable to. ;) I can't imagine very many DMs being in that boat, though.

I hope there will be rules on balance. Is an character-class NPC of Level X a standard monster against a party of level X, or Elite? (Can't see it being Solo or Minion). And since they have said you can add class levels to monsters, I hope those are balanced as well.

Lizard said:
I hope there will be rules on balance. Is an character-class NPC of Level X a standard monster against a party of level X, or Elite? (Can't see it being Solo or Minion). And since they have said you can add class levels to monsters, I hope those are balanced as well.

It hasn't been stated clearly yet, but considering that the "baseline" encounter is 4 monsters (regulars) vs 5 player characters, I would assume that a PC classed monster is a regular monster. (The numbers "rig" the combat so that PCs are still more likely to win. 50:50 odds would be a bit hard on the players in the long run...)
(Interesting question is: How do you apply PC classes to minions, elites or solos?)

Crashy75

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
It hasn't been stated clearly yet, but considering that the "baseline" encounter is 4 monsters (regulars) vs 5 player characters, I would assume that a PC classed monster is a regular monster. (The numbers "rig" the combat so that PCs are still more likely to win. 50:50 odds would be a bit hard on the players in the long run...)
(Interesting question is: How do you apply PC classes to minions, elites or solos?)
Yeah, wasn't there some sort of "xp value" for pc's as well as monsters? I seem to remember the idea is to balance out the xp values of all pc's with the xp values of the monsters they can face in a single encounter. So, in this case, an NPC with pc levels will = 1 pc (assuming they are the same level).

Remove ads