• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spell focus requires 13 Cha?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Mengu said:
Too bad they don't stack, which makes Astral Fire redundant for a Tiefling Wizard at heroic tier, and only marginally useful at Paragon.
Sure, but you won't qualify for Astral Fire at Heroic tier, and the attack bonus from Hellfire Blood is never obsolete -- so just consider Astral Fire to be +1 damage at Paragon, and +2 damage at Epic.

And seriously, what else are you going to spend that feat on? Wizards aren't exactly drowning in options.

Cheers, -- N

Mengu

First Post
Nifft said:
And seriously, what else are you going to spend that feat on? Wizards aren't exactly drowning in options.

True, though some defensive feats start to look awefully nice when you run into enough skirmishers, or are caught in enough AoE's.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
simply not edible said:
Hmmm... let's see. Take the standard array... STR 10, CON 13, DEX 12, INT 16, WIS 14, CHA 11. Add the Halfling, +2 DEX, +2 CHA, and presto, all the mentioned feats are accessible, from level 1. Given, I haven't taken into account the others, 'cause right now, I can't be bothered gathering the book, but hey.

That's a good point, though since Spell Focus isn't available until around the time you get to increase all your abilities, I think I would go with a slightly different set of abilities. But yours are one good choice.

I hadn't really considered a halfling wizard before, but you've shown me that a halfling can be a decent wizard, with both arcane reach and spell focus. I imagine a halfling wizard would be wicked with thunderwave!

Maybe that was the plan...add things that make any race viable. If the thing you add isn't in the class itself, it might be in the feats that are made for that class.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
evilbob said:
You don't think post #31 is snarky? I took it as snarky. I could be wrong.

I thought it was funny.

[For reference, that's when Nifft mentioned the Wizard Recruitment Poster]

Jhulae

First Post
evilbob said:
You don't think post #31 is snarky? I took it as snarky. I could be wrong.

I certainly didn't think post 31 was snarky. I could even envision a pair of Tiefling wizards high-fiving each other in the 'recruitment poster' when I read it.

And yes, Tieflings do seem to make pretty good wizards and it's great that Charisma isn't a dump stat anymore.

Obryn

Hero
I'm really glad Spell Focus requires Charisma while Orbs are Wisdom-based...

Seriously, it helps keep things sane(r). Otherwise Orb becomes an even clearer choice for casters. No contest, really.

-O

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
As for the argument that you should be discouraged from starting with an 18, I thought one of 4e's design goals was that characters would not require any pre-planning and that the hard prerequisites would be removed, hence the reason we don't see rigid requirements on paragon paths like 3e prestige classes had. Seems pretty counterproductive to ease the restrictions on paragon paths but make qualifying for feats hell.

evilbob

Explorer
Obryn said:
I'm really glad Spell Focus requires Charisma while Orbs are Wisdom-based...
For the record, I think "or Con 15" would be the best option.

Falling Icicle said:
Seems pretty counterproductive to ease the restrictions on paragon paths but make qualifying for feats hell.
I also noticed this was pretty weird: a LOT of feats have very restrictive stat requirements, especially since the only way you can boost stats in this game is to level up (well, and one epic path). If you want to have specific feats, you MUST choose your stats extremely carefully before you start - or be prepared to spend a whole lot of your precious attribute bonuses.

Interesting side-note: I think the highest stat anyone could achieve in the game is 30: start with 18, +2 racial, use all 8 ability boosts to help that stat, and take the demigod epic path and boost it 2.

Remove ads