D&D 5E Spell Inversion idea (Counterspell alternative)

BlivetWidget

Explorer
I see, on these forums at least, a number of complaints about Counterspell, mostly centered around people not liking that nothing happens if it's successful. On the one hand, I feel like this is mostly an issue with stingy narration: fireball fizzles vs narrative blast of heat that maybe singes everything in the room but deals no damage. But on the other hand, I can see room for an alternative, so I was pondering...

Spell Inversion:
3rd-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are targeted by a spell or are within its initial area of effect
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous
You attempt to send an offending spell back toward its caster. As you cast this spell, a line of crackling energy forms between you and the other caster, creating bright light in a 15 ft wide line, and dim light for another 15 ft to either side. You and the other caster each make a contested Arcana check (using your respective spellcasting abilities) with a bonus equal to the level of the spell slots each of you spent. Ties go to the other caster. Whomever wins the contest determines the spell’s new target, which must be within the line of bright light. If the results of the contested check differ by less than 10, the new target cannot be more than halfway to whomever lost the contest.

Advantages vs Counterspell:
-Keeps things interesting
-You can potentially send the spell back at its caster
-Don't stand between the dueling wizards!

Disadvantages vs Counterspell:
-The original spell must be cast at you, so it can’t be used to stop the caster from buffing themselves or allies (this feature also significantly mitigates how annoying it can be if used against players)
-Never a guarantee (whereas Counterspell is guaranteed to succeed if the target spell is <= its level)

Thoughts welcome. Wording might be able to use some cleanup, but my intent is probably understandable. I think the easiest dial to adjust is the contested check and how different the results need to be in order to send the spell all the way to one caster or another.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
I would like counterspell much better if it was always an opposed check. Maybe Arcana. Hell, I wouldn't mind if a wizard could train to be a counterspeller and put feats into being good at it. I don't like the instant "it fails" aspect on either side, player or DM. It feels cheap.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
I would like counterspell much better if it was always an opposed check. Maybe Arcana. Hell, I wouldn't mind if a wizard could train to be a counterspeller and put feats into being good at it. I don't like the instant "it fails" aspect on either side, player or DM. It feels cheap.

I agree, Arcana it is. That was my original intent anyway. This sort of manipulation of spell energies probably requires a solid understanding of spell theory.

whatheck

Villager
This is a cool idea. I registered an account to say so. I'm not sure I'd involve a skill proficiency, though. Might just go for ability modifier or spell attack bonus.

Harzel

Adventurer
Making it an Intelligence(Arcana) check disadvantages CHA and WIS casters. So, you could make it a <casting stat>(Arcana) check, or decide that wizards really should have an advantage.

Nebulous

Legend
Making it an Intelligence(Arcana) check disadvantages CHA and WIS casters. So, you could make it a <casting stat>(Arcana) check, or decide that wizards really should have an advantage.

That's true. Again, I think there should be a feat-based subsystem were you could excel at counterspelling as a specialty.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
@whatheck and @Harzel I waffled back and forth with just making it a straight casting stat roll, and I think it works fine that way, too. I just have strong feelings for wizards and I feel like the Arcana skill should get more use (I'm also for using Arcana to try to push the boundaries of general spell use, but that's a separate discussion). So I'm okay with being pro-wizard, but I also like your idea to make it a casting stat (Arcana) check. I feel like that's a clever compromise.

Remove ads