D&D 5E Spell-Less Support Class with Warlord as an Archetype

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I like the idea of a base support class with branching subclasses, but I think you've got too many here! I reckon just go with a warlord and a bard type of subclass.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Odd. I don't recall that being the sole conception of the warlord either.
You should've seen warlords in play during the 4e era before speaking to it, then. I have. Miladoon's teaser of "Fightey Motivating/Inspiring abilities" leads me to believe such similar tenancies are coming. But I await being pleasantly surprised.

Miladoon

First Post
@Miladoon,

Odd. I don't recall ever seeing King Theodin hanging back in a fight whilst dictating how and when his allies should swing their weapons better...

And why is that scene not as easily represented by him just having and using the Inspiring Leader feat?

I didn't either. Look at the words. The pictures are cool and kinda give an idea where I am heading but don't get too caught up in them.

Theoden's ride to ruin speech had me out of my chair at the movie theater, charging the screen, ripping through it, spilling into the foyer and taking the popcorn stand. It was a grand moment until the usherguls showed up.

This is a 5E moment. I am not making a 4E class.

What do you guys think of a 'priest' character for the hospitaler? I was thinking of somekind of slayer type but capable of doing some hit point regain for the party.

I can't find a formatted pic of Lady Grey, from Order of the X. She is my ardent.
[MENTION=73782]Psikerlord[/MENTION], I think there is room in 5E for stand alone classes or broad brush options like they have for the cleric and wizard.

Aldarc

Legend
You should've seen warlords in play during the 4e era before speaking to it, then. I have. Miladoon's teaser of "Fightey Motivating/Inspiring abilities" leads me to believe such similar tenancies are coming. But I await being pleasantly surprised.
You presume you are the only one with experience with the 4e warlord. You should probably stop that habit of yours.

Sadras

Legend
You presume you are the only one with experience with the 4e warlord. You should probably stop that habit of yours.

LOL! Morrus was kind enough to recently provide us with a statistical demographic of the Enworlders. Interesting and surprising to note, for me, that we have such a large young forumite base.
Sometimes though, some of the responses make me think that that demographic representation was incorrect and that all of us here are all just grumpy, snappy middle-agers ;)

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
I think there is room in 5E for stand alone classes or broad brush options like they have for the cleric and wizard.
Most 5e classes are pretty broad. Monk is probably the most narrow, but even that has covers many types of kung fu.

That said, i vote Stanchion for a name.

A stanchion (/ˈstænʃən/) is a sturdy upright fixture that provides support for some other object.[1] They are often not a permanent fixture, so that they may be expediently enlisted or removed whenever desired.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Nope. I never said, or even implied, such a thing. What I did say is that you seem to be unfamiliar. And I based that statement off of what you said in this very thread; your apparent ignorance of the topic. That's a completely different thing. Or were you intentionally strawmanning me in order to try and deflect the truth?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What I did say is that you seem to be unfamiliar.

Which is basically an appeal to authority - "You have less experience, so shut up and sit down, and listen to your betters." The accusation of strawmanning, "You can't honestly hold the position you do," isn't much better.

You might want to consider whether you wish to continue with such a rhetorically weak argument, or if you want to continue making it about he person of the poster, rather than the content of their posts, given how often we warn folks not to do that.

*Everyone* in the thread should reconsider if they want to continue using such tactics. Just sayin'.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
That said, i vote Stanchion for a name.

A stanchion (/ˈstænʃən/) is a sturdy upright fixture that provides support for some other object.[1] They are often not a permanent fixture, so that they may be expediently enlisted or removed whenever desired.
Good one. Also, it just came to me out of the blue, but what about Crony?

crony (ˈkrōnē/)
a close friend or companion.
"he went gambling with his cronies"
synonyms: friend, companion, bosom friend, intimate, confidant, confidante, familiar, associate, accomplice, comrade

Remove ads