Level Up (A5E) Spell Order

How would you like to see Spells organized.

I know many people like that manner of listing (so you aren't crazy), but let me make the case for the other method. Often I'm looking up a spell by name, but I can't recall (or never knew) the level of the spell. Needing to look through multiple leveled lists to find where the spell (of which I know the name but not level) is, is frustrating. It's much more convenient to be able to just look it up in alphabetical order.

I assume the desire for listing by level comes from character building, where you want to know which spells are available to you. (In that case, you're in luck because Level Up lists that right there for each class).

I find the former situation to come up way more often for me than the latter situation. Even as a player looking up a spell my character knows (and the level of which I know) by paging through a list, it is faster to just look it up alphabetically then to have to first look up the level and then look it up alphabetically within the level.

I know many people like that manner of listing (so you aren't crazy), but let me make the case for the other method. Often I'm looking up a spell by name, but I can't recall (or never knew) the level of the spell. Needing to look through multiple leveled lists to find where the spell (of which I know the name but not level) is, is frustrating. It's much more convenient to be able to just look it up in alphabetical order.

I assume the desire for listing by level comes from character building, where you want to know which spells are available to you. (In that case, you're in luck because Level Up lists that right there for each class).

I find the former situation to come up way more often for me than the latter situation. Even as a player looking up a spell my character knows (and the level of which I know) by paging through a list, it is faster to just look it up alphabetically then to have to first look up the level and then look it up alphabetically within the level.
Ok fair point, but they could simply have a spell index alphabetically with the level listed.

Sceadugenga

Villager
With all the new spell schools, I'm most invested in a list of each spell sorted by the nonclassical schools, in addition to alphabetically by level. I don't need the full text of each spell there, but its unwieldy to page thru all the spell pages looking for what spells belong to the "shadow" school for my warlock.

King Brad

Explorer
With all the new spell schools, I'm most invested in a list of each spell sorted by the nonclassical schools, in addition to alphabetically by level. I don't need the full text of each spell there, but its unwieldy to page thru all the spell pages looking for what spells belong to the "shadow" school for my warlock.
That should be an option with the online tool when it is out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
eg fire --

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 4.01.31 PM.png

Remove ads