• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Power: What's the deal?

android

First Post
I am confused as to what Spell Power actually does now because it is listed differently in several different places.

In the 3.5 DMG (and SRD), under the Archmage prestige class, Spell Power is described as increasing the archmage's effective caster level by +1 (for purposes of determining level-dependent spell variables such as damage dice or range, and caster level checks only). This type of Spell Power can also be seen in the Red Wizard prestige class.

Due to those changes, I made the assumption that Spell Power had been changed across the board. However, in the newly updated and released Epic Insights feature on the Wizards page, Spell Power for the Shadow Adept adds an additional +1 to the DC for saving throws against Enchantment, Illusion, Necromancy, and darkness spells cast by the epic shadow adept, and a like amount to his caster level checks to overcome spell resistance using the spells from this school. Similarly, the Runecaster has the Rune Power ability which operates much like Spell Power, increasing the DC's of the runes created by a Runecaster.

Clearly there is a huge difference between the different Spell Powers. Is it to be assumed that the Spell Power abilities of the different classes are mechanically different while they share a common name? Or is the printing of one of these two abilities a mistake and they should both have the same effect? If so, which of the two should hold sway?

Any opinions or clarifications that have been issued would be appreciated.

James McMurray

First Post
I sincerely hope that the printing in the epic insights pdf was a mistake. We really don't need multiple classes running around with the same ability with different names.

Did you email WotC regarding the confusion?

android

First Post
I did not. I have always found their responses to be lacking in insight. I don't normally contact them except as a last resort.

Urbannen

First Post
I think the Epic update is correct. Spell power from the Shadow Adept class continues to increase the DCs for spells of the schools of Necromancy, Illusion, and Enchantment.

I guess.

android

First Post
Well, I thought it was a poor decision when they changed all the spell DC modifiers with 3.5 so I'd like this release to be accurate. I know not everyone is in that camp, though.

I guess I just have to wait to see if they release anymore information about it. If not, I'll probably go with it as written.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Urbannen said:
I think the Epic update is correct. Spell power from the Shadow Adept class continues to increase the DCs for spells of the schools of Necromancy, Illusion, and Enchantment.

I guess.

I would lay odds on the Epic Insights being wrong, myself. After ALL the trouble WotC went through to eliminate loads of bonuses to save DC's, it would make more sense that they want to curb this ability.

android

First Post
Henry said:

I would lay odds on the Epic Insights being wrong, myself. After ALL the trouble WotC went through to eliminate loads of bonuses to save DC's, it would make more sense that they want to curb this ability.
That is a good thought. But on the other hand, it could be a response to the outcry against those changes they made. I wish they'd just release some errata already!

Looking forward to hearing what they have to say, Piratecat.

William Ronald

Explorer
The articles were originally for 3.0, and were supposed to be updated for 3.5. Possibly someone did not change a key sentence.

I think it was the Red Wizard PrC that lead to the overall changes in spell power as well as the spell focus feats. (I think the feats were fine, but were too much when combined with the bonuses from Red Wizard and Archmage in 3.0).

Remove ads