D&D 5E Spell Sniper Feat and Bard Cantrips: what am I missing?

Hi everybody: in the Spell Sniper Feat I read that a character can also choose a Cantrip, from various Spellcasting Classes, that requires an Attack Roll. The problem is, I can't find a single Bard Cantrip that requires an Attack Roll: what am I missing? Is it a typo? Has there been any erratas about that? Many thanks!
There isn't a Bard Cantrip with an attack roll, yet. However, the feat says you can choose from those lists and learn it but you must use that class's attack stat. So if you're a Bard then choose a Sorcerer or Warlock spell which allows you to use your Charisma for attack rolls. If you're using Charisma then you should choose Eldritch Blast. That's a given.

Thank you very much! And in the meantime;)?According to you, if you select the Spell Sniper Feat, can you still choose Bard Cantrips even if they don't require Attack Rolls? I would definetely say "yes"... But then would that limitation ("Choose a cantrip THAT REQUIRE AN ATTACK ROLL" as written in the Feat) be canceled only for Bard Cantrips or even for all other Spellcasting Classes' ones?
Many thanks again!
There wouldn't be much point. The whole point of choosing the cantrip is so you have at least one that benefits from the ability, including the "ignore cover" aspect. Saving throw cantrips aren't affected by partial cover anyway.

If you just want to double the range of your bard spells I think the Metamagic Adept feat from Tasha's is a better choice. It has limited uses, but given how rare it is to need the extra range, I don't see that as a significant drawback.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You could pick up a cantrip that requires an attack roll via Magical Secrets. Those spells count as bard spells for you, so that would be a 100% legal way to make it work. You wouldn't be able to do that until either 6th or 10th level though (and the former only as College of Lore). Presumably you'd take eldritch blast, given its superior damage type and dice.
Indeed! Also, several feats grant cantrips, such as Magical Adept

Yes, you can still select Magical Adept (Bard) if your main class is bard. This gives you any two bard cantrips and a 1st level spell.

If you just want to attack things at long range, unless your dexterity is truly bad, a light crossbow works.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
While that is true, they wouldn't be Bard cantrips, so you'd need to choose whatever class they came from instead. But Magical Initiate (Warlock) + Spell Sniper (Warlock) would let you use eldritch blast with Spell Sniper, regardless of class.

While that is true, they wouldn't be Bard cantrips, so you'd need to choose whatever class they came from instead. But Magical Initiate (Warlock) + Spell Sniper (Warlock) would let you use eldritch blast with Spell Sniper, regardless of class.
You don't need Magic Initiate to do that, Spell Sniper on it's own can give you Eldritch Blast.

And Magic Initiate (Bard) does give you bard cantrips - not that it matters. But there is no rule that prevents you being a magic initiate in your own class.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
You don't need Magic Initiate to do that, Spell Sniper on it's own can give you Eldritch Blast.

And Magic Initiate (Bard) does give you bard cantrips - not that it matters. But there is no rule that prevents you being a magic initiate in your own class.
I more meant that there would still be no Bard cantrips that require attack rolls.

I more meant that there would still be no Bard cantrips that require attack rolls.
Spell Sniper doesn't care what class gave you the attack roll spell. It applies to any spell with an attack roll. It could even be from your race, such as Fire Genasi. As worded, it even applies to melee attack roll spells if they specify a range.

I would not allow it to be used with cantrips that do not use an attack roll, like vicious mockery, because that would imply it could be used with a spell of any level with no attack roll, making the feat considerably more powerful than intended.

Last edited:

Remove ads