• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell to cut a divine spellcaster off from their god?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm absolutely certain that I saw somewhere (possibly a third-party book) a spell that severed a divine spellcaster's connection to their deity, basically cutting off their divine spellcasting ability.

I have no idea where I saw that now, unfortunately, so I'm asking for help. (There's a chance it may have been a 3.5 book; I didn't think so, but I could be wrong.)

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Kaisoku

First Post
It sounds familiar in a story sense, in that I might have read it in a novel or something. Never heard of it in a gaming context before.

Possibly as an Epic spell? Remember this spell isn't just affecting the poor cleric... the desire is two way here. Typically it takes other gods to block a god from sending his power to a person he wants having his power.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Spell compedium had this one I think. IIRC Spell had a full page illo involving a lich, a female cleric and a griffon.

That was the illustration for divine interdiction, which blocks the use of channeling energy and domain abilities, but not actual divine spellcasting.

Runestar said:
Anathema, a 9th lv spell from champions of ruin?

Hm, that wasn't the one I thought I saw before, but it does accomplish what I asked for.

The irony here is that I forgot to mention in my initial post that I was looking for an arcane spell to accomplish this effect; however, I don't actually know that the spell I was initially looking at was on an arcane spell list. It's possible I'm looking for something that doesn't exist at this point. :blush:

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Off hand I don't recall. But if you HR/design such an arcane spell, it should be 9th level. Not only that, but the caster better be prepared to defend himself/herself from the wrath of a god if a well-favoured cleric was cut off...

Ideally I think such an effect should come from an artifact or powerful curse of some kind, probably powered by a wish...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads