Spelljammer Spelljammer in D&D 5e Speculation: How Will the Setting Be Changed?

Yeah, I think that it's a lot easier and less damaging to integrate the two than one would think.

One other thing that comes up in Planescape is that the Ethereal plane is the connective tissue between all matter, whereas the Astral plane is the connective tissue between all mind.
Speaking for myself, I've never had a problem with integrating Planescape and Spelljammer - they work just fine together, and there's plenty of room for overlap - but the main issue I have with the calls for a "Planejammer" combined setting is that it would inevitably be imbalanced and heavily skew toward one or the other.

As someone who is admittedly far more of a Planescape fan than a Spelljammer one, I'm of the mindset to treat Spelljammer as a subset of Planescape - Spelljammer deals with the prime material plane, which is one small facet of the broader cosmology dealt with by Planescape. I have no issues with letting Spelljammers sail the Astral and Ethereal Planes in addition to the Phlogiston, or possibly even jump between planes directly, but even that only makes them one viable means of traversing the planes out of many - I would expect Yggdrasil the World Ash, the Infinite Staircase, the Gate-Towns, the Rivers Styx and Oceanus, etc. to get just as much focus and support.

That is how I look at it and what I would want out of a combined "Planejammer" setting, but I feel safe in assuming that pretty much all Spelljammer fans would consider that too heavily weighted toward Planescape.

By contrast, most of the proposals put forward by Spelljammer fans seem to my eyes as a push to break up the Great Wheel into a rehashed version of 4e's "Astral Sea" and drop Sigil in to serve as a kind of "space port". To put it a less flattering way, it's pillaging Sigil and a bunch of planar locations from Planescape, reworking them to fit a Spelljammer-centric model, and then leaving whatever is left of Planescape's unique identity to rot.

You'll have to forgive me if I, as a Planescape fan, don't find that a particularly compelling argument for the future of a setting that I love - it feels like someone arguing that everything interesting about the Forgotten Realms setting should be moved to the area around the Sea of Fallen Stars, because that's the only region they think matters.

Fundamentally, I don't think a combined "Planejammer" can be done in a way that satisfies fans of both Spelljammer and Planescape, and so I think they should be separate books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm pro-Planejammer... but also anti-Planejammer.

Pro in that I do want to the two settings to connect, and not really contradict each other. A cohesive cosmology can have both, and have both make sense.

I'm anti in that I don't really need both smooshed into one book. For adventures, they kind of meet different niches, and I don't want to see the two competing for page space.
That where I'm coming from, too.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
By contrast, most of the proposals put forward by Spelljammer fans seem to my eyes as a push to break up the Great Wheel into a rehashed version of 4e's "Astral Sea" and drop Sigil in to serve as a kind of "space port". To put it a less flattering way, it's pillaging Sigil and a bunch of planar locations from Planescape, reworking them to fit a Spelljammer-centric model, and then leaving whatever is left of Planescape's unique identity to rot.
As more of a Spelljammer fan than Planescape fan, I gotta say that’s exactly how I read proposals to make Spelljammer a subservient setting to Planescape. WotC should either present them both as standalone settings or not at all. Fans of both will lose no matter what combo WotC goes with.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I could have sworn phlogiston was mentioned a few times, maybe 2-3, but I have nothing to point to as evidence. So shrug.

There's one big interview with Jeremy Crawford talking about cosmology, which I've listened to a few times (it's a good listen). It definitely mentions crystal spheres, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't mention phlogiston.

Maybe after the spheres war a new solar system was discovered, and here there was special planar portals toward the Planegates next to Sigil in the concordat domain of the Outlands. Maybe the crystal spheres were created by the deities to avoid potential alien invaders, for example the Vodoni empire, or the creatures from the Far Realm, for example the ethergaunts, of the Thoon cult.

Maybe now Sigil is officially neutral zone about the factions war, but the Lady of the Pain didn't said anything about the Gatetowns, and maybe this conflict could get involved in different crystal spheres with planar portals to the Outlands.

Maybe demiplanes start to appear in the astral sea, and the origin is accidental, created by a higher-than-light hipertech by an alien advanced civilitation (Starfinder).

Is really the phlogiston an interesting place for adventures?

* Vecna, god of the secrets, can resurrect fallen villains, and these would accept the return to the life to work for him if this means to escape from the eternal pain in the infernal planes.

As more of a Spelljammer fan than Planescape fan, I gotta say that’s exactly how I read proposals to make Spelljammer a subservient setting to Planescape. WotC should either present them both as standalone settings or not at all. Fans of both will lose no matter what combo WotC goes with.
Agreed. They should be done separately.

Last edited:

I like them as two separate things. But I also get why having the planes and outer space would be messy with the current edition and the comparatively spartan release schedule. And ultimately, I'll be excited to see whatever they do with it/them.

Right. As long as they're two separate and self-contained but overlapping ideas, it can absolutely work. Spelljammers that can travel between crystal spheres and into the phlogiston and also hop planes. That absolutely works. Tearing out all the unique things about Spelljammer to shoehorn it into the Planescape model..."Nah just kidding, Spelljammer ships have always just traveled the astral sea, lol...what's a crystal sphere"...not so much. Add, don't subtract.

Speaking for myself, I've never had a problem with integrating Planescape and Spelljammer - they work just fine together, and there's plenty of room for overlap - but the main issue I have with the calls for a "Planejammer" combined setting is that it would inevitably be imbalanced and heavily skew toward one or the other.

As someone who is admittedly far more of a Planescape fan than a Spelljammer one, I'm of the mindset to treat Spelljammer as a subset of Planescape - Spelljammer deals with the prime material plane, which is one small facet of the broader cosmology dealt with by Planescape. I have no issues with letting Spelljammers sail the Astral and Ethereal Planes in addition to the Phlogiston, or possibly even jump between planes directly, but even that only makes them one viable means of traversing the planes out of many - I would expect Yggdrasil the World Ash, the Infinite Staircase, the Gate-Towns, the Rivers Styx and Oceanus, etc. to get just as much focus and support.

That is how I look at it and what I would want out of a combined "Planejammer" setting, but I feel safe in assuming that pretty much all Spelljammer fans would consider that too heavily weighted toward Planescape.

You'll have to forgive me if I, as a Planescape fan, don't find that a particularly compelling argument for the future of a setting that I love - it feels like someone arguing that everything interesting about the Forgotten Realms setting should be moved to the area around the Sea of Fallen Stars, because that's the only region they think matters.

Fundamentally, I don't think a combined "Planejammer" can be done in a way that satisfies fans of both Spelljammer and Planescape, and so I think they should be separate books.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Right. As long as they're two separate and self-contained but overlapping ideas, it can absolutely work. Spelljammers that can travel between crystal spheres and into the phlogiston and also hop planes. That absolutely works. Tearing out all the unique things about Spelljammer to shoehorn it into the Planescape model..."Nah just kidding, Spelljammer ships have always just traveled the astral sea, lol...what's a crystal sphere"...not so much. Add, don't subtract.
People seem really fond of subtracting though. And then carefully wording their explanations so that isn't what it sounds like.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My personal suspicion is that if crystal spheres are maintained the mechanics of them will be changed. I suspect that not every setting will be in a crystal sphere because it's way too limiting. Just like every setting can have its own cosmology, different settings can have their own fantasy physics as well. Mystara, for example, was never in a crystal sphere - and is by canon in a galaxy where space travelers with advanced technology have visited it in the past. While that can be justified with crystal spheres, it shouldn't have to be. So some might be floating in crystal spheres, some might be in a universe much like ours, and some might have some other structure entirely.

(The crystal sphere cosmology was a hack to allow Krynn into the Spelljammer model. It was the answer to "how can Krynn's constellations disappear when the gods are walking on Krynn". I remember an interview with Jeff Grub IIRC where he talked about the origins of the crystal spheres and that was his big rationale for them. And it was a way to make it so that the fantasy worlds weren't tied to each other in the same galaxy or something like that - you don't have to worry about explaining how they relate to each other in space if they're all just floating in crystal balls in some kind of explosive ether substance. Personally I would have preferred portals between alternate Prime Material Planes as the answer to that question but I wasn't on the design team.)
Spelljammer was never about planar travel; that's a whole different thing. It was about D&D in space, with a side order of meta setting so your tinker gnomes can visit Toril and screw up the economy.

Remove ads