Patlin

Explorer
Revisions based on comments

Rays of Precise Force
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. plus 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One or more rays
Duration: One round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell enshrouds the casters hand in a nimbus of force. As a standard action, the caster can cause the nimbus to shoot out a very weak but extremely accurate ray of force, which strikes as a ranged touch attack and deals one point of damge to any target it hits. The caster recieves a +2 bonus on his attack roll. This bonus increases by +1 for every 2 caster levels, to a maximum of +10 at level 16 or higher. The nimbus dissipates at the end of the duration, or once the character has used it to shoot 15 rays of precise force.

Disturb Equilibrium
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. plus 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One or more creatures, no two of which may be more than 30' apart
Duration: One round/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
The subject becomes dizzy, losing its dexterity bonus to AC and taking a -5 penalty on balance checks. Each round on its turn, as a move action, an effected creature may make a new saving throw to end the effect.

Velmont

First Post
Rays of Precise Force

Rays of Sneaky Attack you should call it ;) I would limit the bonus at +5, as most lvl 1 spell have a limit of 5 (magic missile, shocking grasp, ect...)

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Rays of Precise Force: Duration should be listed as "Discharged or Concentration (D)". I like the idea of this spell, as it gives an arcane trickster-type the ability to sneak attack using a low-level spell. Very nifty.

Ball of Thunder and Lightning: Descriptor should read "[Electricity, Sonic]". I agree with KO that this should be Evocation and allow for SR. I dislike the idea of rolling that many d3's, but it works.

Disturb Equilibrium: Off-hand, I don't think this would be a Compulsion effect. Regardless, I think this ability is quite broken and needs to be higher level; even the fix is still too powerful. My main problem with it is twofold: it supposedly allows the caster to target multiple targets, but never mentions the maximum number of creatures allowed; and it makes the target(s) lose their Dex bonus to AC for 1 round/level. Any mage who knows this and works with rogues on a regular basis (or is a multiclass rogue himself) would be foolish not to take this and Heighten Spell and cast this spell on his targets at as high a spell level as possible to boost its DC. Well, maybe not foolish, but it would definitely be a sound way to dish out quite a bit of damage with very little effort.

IMO, to fix this spell, it requires a few things. One, it should only target one creature. Two, it should have a duration of "Concentration (D)" with a maximum of 1 round/level. Third, the penalties to the balance check should be severely curtailed again. These fixes would make it so that the wizard himself can't take advantage of their lack of Dex bonus to AC.

Remove ads