• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiders in Drow of the Underdark

JustKim

First Post
I have this book and with it the answer to the question burning on everyone's mind: Are the spiders anatomically correct? The answer is no.

Page 13: Diagram of a spider with three distinct body segments. Spiders do not have a thorax. Theme is repeated ad infinitum in the desk's spider motif, complete with mandibles. Spiders do not have mandibles.

Page 21: Matron Mother's staff and broach. Even though these are objet d'art, drow artisans would very well know that a spider's legs do not sprout from its abdomen, and that spiders do not have mandibles.

Page 31: Spider decor with legs sprouting from abdomens. Spiders' legs only sprout from the cephalothorax.

Page 51: Patella and metatarsus are missing. Also spider is wearing shoes, spiders don't wear shoes, that is silly.

Page 52: Patella is in the wrong place on spider's legs. Patella should come between femur and tibia to enable circulation and prevent death. Spider's legs end in one claw- all spiders' legs end in two or three claws, else manipulation of webbing is impossible. Possibly spider is an octuple amputee.

Page 66: Spiders seem to have a distinct head and thorax. Spiders have a fused cephalothorax.

Page 91: Dissected spider has a distinct head and thorax. Patella is missing. Spider has long spinnerets characteristic only of funnelweb spiders, but lack any other funnelweb spider trait. Spider's legs end in a single claw.

Page 104: Spider has a distinct head and thorax. Spider has mandibles.

Page 105: Spider has a distinct head and thorax. Patella and metatarsus are missing.

Page 109: Spider's legs all end in a single claw.

Page 143: Patella and metatarsus are missing in all spiders. Pedipalps of widowmaker incorrectly resemble fangs.

I'm sure everyone will agree that this is a travesty. Stop it, fantasy artists. Stop it.

Asmor

First Post
I, for one, am shocked. Don't they know that children read these books?

Won't somebody think of the children?

Pants

First Post
Well, gee willickers, I sure am not buying the book because of this.

I mean, I can understand having dozens of different sentient humanoids inhabiting the same world, but anatomically incorrect spiders? Well, they just went too far!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Oh my god! How could they! I could excuse them drawing dragons that should not be able to fly with that kind of body, but anatomically incorrectly drawn spiders? I'll never buy a D&D book again! ;) :p

Sound of Azure said:
They must be Slippers of Spider Climbing. :D

Or shoes of non-spider walking. Must be annoying for your average giant spider to walk through some poorer part of a drow city and pick up lots of trash with its sticky feet. You know how annoying it is to step onto bubble gum and then onto a piece of paper? Imagine that x8, and without the need of the gum!

Remove ads