Splitting up your ttrpg into free vs $, pdf vs hardcover

IvyDragons

Explorer
Well, while I would never question the veracity of someone on YouTube
No need to question anything, the numbers are right there on kickstarter.

I would suggest consulting one of the real RPG designers that post regularly here. There are countless threads in which they bemoan the difficulties of the industry.
So you are not speaking from experience you are just inferring things from other peoples threads who may or may not be casual content creators.

Monte Cook is a "real designer", his kickstarter Planebreaker—Explore the Planes for 5e
was only 5,000 units, but these units are at $100 each, thats way out of the price range of a lot of people.

Whether a no-name person can shift 5,000 units of a free or cheap pdf, idk thats something else entirely and depends on how good it is and whether it goes viral.

No need to question anything, the numbers are right there on kickstarter.
Ah. Yeah, there's an unimpeachable data source.
So you are not speaking from experience you are just inferring things from other peoples threads who may or may not be casual content creators.
As to the threads I'm referring to, check them out, then speculate. One of the main posters there is the owner of this forum.
Monte Cook is a "real designer", his kickstarter Planebreaker—Explore the Planes for 5e
was only 5,000 units, but these units are at $100 each, thats way out of the price range of a lot of people.

Whether a no-name person can shift 5,000 units of a free or cheap pdf, idk thats something else entirely and depends on how good it is and whether it goes viral.
Monte Cook is a legend in the business.

Mezuka

Hero
I did two laser-cut MDF miniature terrain Kickstarters about 4 years ago.

For eight months before the first Kickstarter, I gave away free building plans that crafty players could cut out by hand and assemble as buildings. I put the links to the free plans on many miniature forums. I was an active member of the communities and I answered all the questions about my plans. I also played miniature games and organized tournaments.

When I announced my first KS it went very well. Backers really liked that I gave stuff for free before asking for monetary contributions. Shipping costs are what killed the business eventually.

*I'm not sour. On the contrary, I'm actually very satisfied I tried it. No regrets!

Ah. Yeah, there's an unimpeachable data source.

As to the threads I'm referring to, check them out, then speculate. One of the main posters there is the owner of this forum.
Why would suggest kickstarter fakes their creators backers, lol thats a bizarre conspiracy theory.

You have to realize this forum is tiny, very niche and primarily just dedicated to attacking people they don't like.

aco175

Legend
Is the problem getting people to play the new system? Getting the name out and having people try it seems to what I would want before I drop real money investing in it. Kind of like a new campaign world in D&D where there are many good ones, but many more I never heard of. I like the was Wizards gives you the free starter rules to try before you buy. It only goes to level 5 and you only get a few classes and monsters to try, but you get enough to see if you like it and to try with your friends.

Remove ads