SPOILERS - Curse of Strahd Play Report

RulesJD

First Post
Yeah, I kinda suspect that a certain number of players (i.e., a lot) will actually not mind at all the Dark Powers version of 'faction charity' this season -- most all of them seem more like boons than woes, and at least one of the so-called 'curses' I suspect will be actively sought out by certain folks (by semi-aggresive suicide-by-monster). Not really sure they instill the proper sense of dread or loss as they had been intended as.

As one of those fully aggressive suicide-by-monster (Necromancer after all), the key is to introduce the downsides AFTER the players have already been inflicted.

Example: The ability to pass through solid objects has already been used to bypass key doors/chokepoints. But people forget, there are a lot of healing spells that don't work when the target is undead...

Fire Vulnerability? Oh wait suddenly the mages prepared spell list is a bit different, etc.

Ainulindalion

First Post
Yeah, I kinda suspect that a certain number of players (i.e., a lot) will actually not mind at all the Dark Powers version of 'faction charity' this season -- most all of them seem more like boons than woes, and at least one of the so-called 'curses' I suspect will be actively sought out by certain folks (by semi-aggresive suicide-by-monster). Not really sure they instill the proper sense of dread or loss as they had been intended as.

One thing to keep in mind, if you end up counting as an undead for the purposes of spells and effects, the majority of healing spells and effects no longer actually, you know, work.

RulesJD

First Post
Also that the Blindsight is limited to 60ft for all Perception purposes.

Oh, unless you have a Find Familiar whose eye's you can looking through, muahahahaha. *straps his Owl to his face*

Steve_MND

First Post
I'm not saying there aren't downsides, just that -- to me and the DMs I've spoken with -- the downsides on some of these don't seem to be as deleterious as the upsides are beneficial, which to me kinda waters down the feeling of it being Gothic Horror. I'm hoping that there are key bits later on in the season in which the repercussions of having accepted a deal with the Dark Powers to be brought back from the dead are more pronounced.

Remove ads