D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
The Stone Juggernaut doesn't seem to make any sense. If it can't go through a creature's space unless it's prone, is it what? Stopped? If it does go through their space due to the target being prone does it then just stop at the next person because it can't make another attack that turn? Seems to me that the idea is for it to barrel over all PC's in its movement range and yet that's not reflected in its stats or abilities.

Nebulous

Legend
The Stone Juggernaut doesn't seem to make any sense. If it can't go through a creature's space unless it's prone, is it what? Stopped? If it does go through their space due to the target being prone does it then just stop at the next person because it can't make another attack that turn? Seems to me that the idea is for it to barrel over all PC's in its movement range and yet that's not reflected in its stats or abilities.

Hmm. Yes, looking at the stat block, it seems that the deadly juggernaut can be thwarted by a DC 17 Str save. So, first it has a Slam attack, does some damage, and then can roll over the target, doing 10d10 damage or half that on a successful save. And it only gets ONE Slam attack?

I would probably rework the stat block to make it more...scary. Because you know the rogue with Evasion is just going to avoid all the damage anyway, despite being crushed by a steamroller, because D&D.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
I mean, if two characters are side by side, and this Large construct rolls into them, it can only attack 1 person, and that's one chance to knock someone prone, and that still makes no sense, it should be either squashing them both or they're both leaping aside to safety.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I mean, if two characters are side by side, and this Large construct rolls into them, it can only attack 1 person, and that's one chance to knock someone prone, and that still makes no sense, it should be either squashing them both or they're both leaping aside to safety.

Actually, they can't leap aside either:

The construct fills the height and width of the hall and barrels toward you at alarming speed.

Which is incompatible with the juggernaut's features. But then there's also this:

All creatures present must roll initiative. On its turn, the juggernaut rolls down the hallway, making a Slam attack against any creature standing in its way and using its Devastating Roll feature to crush small or prone enemies.

Which also doesn't make sense since it only gets one attack. That makes the entire thing very confusing. I mean, the entire adventure has a huge amount of exceptions to standard rules and how monster work, but I'm just not clear on the how of it as it really seems to be very contradictory.

Nebulous

Legend
Actually, they can't leap aside either:

Which is incompatible with the juggernaut's features. But then there's also this:

Which also doesn't make sense since it only gets one attack. That makes the entire thing very confusing. I mean, the entire adventure has a huge amount of exceptions to standard rules and how monster work, but I'm just not clear on the how of it as it really seems to be very contradictory.

For comparison, here is the original Stone Juggernaut encounter from Tomb of Horrors:

A. The most likely place that will be found, however, is the passage full of sleep gas which is reached by the east door. When the doors to the north (which open to the sleep gas area) are opened, everyone in that passage will instantly collapse In slumber for 2-8 turns. Each turn of slumber roll a d4, and if a 4 results, a stone Juggernaut (rather like a steam roller) comes out of the 20”x20' room to the north and rolls 1-6 spaces (10'-60') south then west as determined by a roll of d6 – Everything it rolls over is squashed to a pulp. There is no appeal. (If the party is in this way destroyed, show them GRAPHIC #23)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

I would say that because it's now become a rolling object its regular attack limits are moot. It's no longer making deliberate attacks and therefore it can do as much damage as required by logic?

Nebulous

Legend
I would say that because it's now become a rolling object its regular attack limits are moot. It's no longer making deliberate attacks and therefore it can do as much damage as required by logic?

If you get hit, a Con save DC 18. Treat it like a Disintegration spell, you take 10d6 +40 crushing damage, or half on a save. If you are brought to 0 hit points on the failed save you are irrevocably crushed into gooey pink paste and instantly dead.

pukunui

Legend
On a different note, Eye of the Deep, the "sea witch" aboard the Dragonfang, is meant to use the default druid statblock. But given that she spends most of her time at sea, I don't think the default druid's spell selection makes much sense for her. I'm going to give her the following default spell selection instead:

Cantrips: druidcraft, magic stone,* shape water
1st level: faerie fire, fog cloud, ice knife,* thunderwave
2nd level: barkskin, hold person

*Elemental Evil Player's Companion

Remove ads